Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Fletching ACCs with feathers, which glue?

Old 10-13-2004, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Fletching ACCs with feathers, which glue?

Loc tite super glue for feathers.
Old 10-14-2004, 09:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's the EXACT glue I have sitting on my desk that I planned to use. It's even a "brush on" version.

I have the bitz in hand, well, in car actually, so hopefully I'll get a chance to go at this soon.
Old 10-14-2004, 11:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

First issues-

It's easy to see why so many prefer the Bitz. Solid piece of equipment, very easy to use.

Problem- How critical is it to get 100% of the old glue residue off? I've been using a razor blade, needless to say, it's a P.I.T.A!

I have one shaft smooth, but there is still a bit of gloss from the old adhesive. Do I need to get every stinking microscopic layer of this crap off, or will the new super glue stick to it, provided I clean it adequately with denatured alcohol?
Old 10-15-2004, 06:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've been known to run out of patience trying to get all the old glue off carbons and just fletched over the residue. I think on the shafts that have a matte surface finish like Gold Tips, the glue soaks into the surface a little, so the glue actually becomes part of the surface layer. You'd actually have to remove some of the original surface to get all the glue off. The shafts with a fine surface finish, like Beman, don't allow the glue to soak in. Bottom line, just get the glue line scraped/sanded down flush with the shaft surface and fletch. They'll stick.
Old 10-15-2004, 10:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bottom line, just get the glue line scraped/sanded down flush with the shaft surface and fletch. They'll stick.
THAT, is music to my ears...

Thank you
Old 10-15-2004, 01:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, the deed is done.

Some observations-

1- The bitz is a solid, easy to use hunk of aluminum. I've never fletched an arrow before, had no directions to follow, and it was easy as pie.

2- How you place an fletch in the clamp makes all the difference in the finished product. My first two arrows look TONS better than the ones fletched at the shop for $1.50 per, theirs are much more sloppy.

3- Left wing feathers don't fit on a shaft with a right helical clamp very well. Luckily I caught this before anything set up. Live and learn

Will have to see how they hold up when launching them through the WBBK2. For safety sake, I won't do so until tomorrow.

Thanks all for the assistance.
Old 10-15-2004, 01:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

How you place an fletch in the clamp makes all the difference in the finished product. My first two arrows look TONS better than the ones fletched at the shop for $1.50 per, theirs are much more sloppy.
Like the old saying goes, "If you want it done RIGHT, then do it yourself." You know, as bad as a lot of folks want people to believe it - or try to make it so - this archery stuff simply is not rocket science.
Old 10-18-2004, 02:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Results are in-

Feathers are stuck tight, zipping through the BK2 with no ill effects and impacting dead on with the others.

I'm sold. Will be doing my own fletching work from here out...

I'm thinking a nice 4" 2 barred orange and 1 barred grey combo is in order this off season...