Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Which Deer Call Really Works?

Old 10-01-2004, 05:41 AM
Fork Horn

Default Which Deer Call Really Works?

I'm tired fo throwing away money on deer calls, I've tried three and all where sub-par. I'm talking about technically working. Just got a true talker which works good for a low grunt, but if I try the pressing up higher for a doe or fawn bleat the reed freezes up and I get a sick deer with alergies sound. Is it the individual call or just the design? I had a true talker last year and it fell apart. I've also tried the Can - Sometimes the plunger doesn't go down smoothly and it sounds like a deer with a bad case of hick-ups. Plus I'm moving my arm around so much flipping that can a deers gotta see me. I've also tried another bleat call that was a small tube with a foam piece that you hold in your mouth - I have to blow so hard to get the reed to start that it sounded like an adolesant fawn on steroids yelling at it's parent. Are there any brands that REALLY work or are those call companies just empting our wallets????
Old 10-01-2004, 05:49 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Which Deer Call Really Works?

Maybe their quality has diminished but I've had my True Talker for about 4 years and have called in many deer with it. Practice, practice!

Here's a good site that helped me understand how and when to call:

http://www.bowsite.com/bowsite/features/practical_bowhunter/deergrunting/deergrunt.html
Old 10-01-2004, 06:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have used the trophy grunter from PRIMOS and had good results--deer are all different just like people some will respond and others could care less.
Old 10-01-2004, 07:15 AM

I am on my second grunt call from A-way Outdoors called the Bowgrunter Plus. It is great!!! I have called in many deer with it, buck and doe. It is easily adjusted and pins to your jacket for handsfree use while at full draw. It is an inhale type call that will not freeze during cold days.It uses a long rubber peep tubing type hose that is connected to the reed itself. And you can't call too looudly with it. It really is mistake proof and that comes from it's inhale design. I have called in deer all year long with it. If you get one you won't be dissapointed with it at all I can assure you of that. I think their website is www.awayhunting.com
Old 10-01-2004, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

The TRUE TALKER is the best sounding grunt/bleat call you'll find in the industry! I'm having a very difficult time believing that you can't operate it? There should be no way that the reed is sticking? The only thing that I can think of is that you're trying to "blow" through the call instaed of "huff" air through it. You MUST huff air....... as if you were trying to steam up a mirror or glass with your breath! This is exactly HOW the True Talker was made to be ran. Try this and I think you will quickly see that NO other call can compete with it's instant adjustability and truly excellent tonal quality and authentic sound. You can reproduce some very amazing sounding chase and breeding scences with this call that simply can't be done with the vast majority of other calls on the market. I can honestly say that the last couple P&Y bucks that I've put arrows thru would have never presented the shot op had it not been for this outstanding call. Take some time to really learn how to use it and you'll find that it may just possibly become the most important tool in your bag of tricks.
Old 10-01-2004, 05:00 PM

I have to agree with cornfed, i use the bowgrunter after the deer is already in range or to make it sound like there are two different deer in the area. Hands down the tru talker sounds more authentic. The new tru-talkers dont have the wood where the reed is like when they first came out, not sure if it makes it sound any different or not (the plastic that the reed lays against). I dont go in the woods without mine, ever.
Old 10-01-2004, 05:02 PM

Forgot to add that you may want to see if ebay still has the whitetail talk cd available, awesome cd, it helped me.
Old 10-01-2004, 11:17 PM
Fork Horn

I guess it could be my technique, but I did follow the video it came with and used the "huff" of air. The only time I have problems is with the fawn bleat, if I don't have just the right pressure and the right "huff" no sound comes out. I really have to get the right pressure for the doe/fawn bleat to work. To me if feels like the reed is sticking. I'll gently blow a low grunt(no pressing at all) and the reed will work again. Maybe I'll just buy a new one and see if its any different. I'll practice some more and see if that helps. Does the reed ever have to be broke in? I mean used for a while before it works better? Also, I'll check out that whitetail talk cd. Thanks for the advice!
Old 10-04-2004, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: thruthevitals

I have to agree with cornfed, i use the bowgrunter after the deer is already in range or to make it sound like there are two different deer in the area. Hands down the tru talker sounds more authentic. The new tru-talkers dont have the wood where the reed is like when they first came out, not sure if it makes it sound any different or not (the plastic that the reed lays against). I dont go in the woods without mine, ever.
I had one of the original all wood TTrs. It sounded Phenomenal. I lost it somehow, and bought a replacement. Didn't sound near as good, investigated, noticed body is now plastic Still sounds ok and easy to use to make a variety of calls, but doesn't sound near as good as the original.

I'd gladly pay double to have a TTr "Pro" made all wood again...
Old 10-04-2004, 09:37 AM

I just use my own voice now, it is always ready and never freezes up. Get the same results as when I used to use a device. The results usually are, most deer don't respond, some deer do respond. Depends on the deer, always has.

Quick Reply: Which Deer Call Really Works?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.