Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

[Deleted]

Old 09-30-2004, 10:16 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-30-2004, 10:58 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Question for finger shooters

I'm not sure how well you'd be able to shoot a bow w/ 80% letoff with fingers.

I was going to ask if you'd tried the Winn Free releases out... They make drawing the bow much easier.. and might help w/ your issue. Just a thought.
Old 09-30-2004, 11:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

80% letoff makes shooting fingers more of a challenge, but it can be done. Adjust your draw length so that you're right on the wall when you hit anchor, then you can use the wall to help the string escape smoothly off your fingertips as the natural result of applying back tension as you pull through the shot. Very important to remember that releasing is NOT an action, it is an inaction. You are holding the string on your fingers at anchor. When you want to release, you simply quit holding it as you pull through the wall.

It's easier to do than it is to explain.

By the way, it seems most people who shoot fingers on high letoff bows find it helpful to use a 2-finger release than a 3-finger release. Most drop the index finger off the string when they get the bow drawn. The rest drop the ring finger.
Old 10-01-2004, 07:49 AM

i am hardly an expert finger shooter as this is my first season to shoot fingers. but...i just went through the process you are currently attempting to do. (my bow is quite short for fingers, but i wasn't in a position to purchase a new one so i made due with a 34.5" ata and 75% let-off bow.) so, to answer your question, it definately can be done. (i posted this same kind of question in this forum some months ago and received some great responses.) arthur gave you some good advice. i first tried the two finger method, but just could not get comfortable shooting that way. so, even with a short ata i decided to shoot a three finger method. arthur describes exactly how i release. i pull "through the wall" so to speak as arthur describes. i have had zero problems with this and am shooting quite accurately.

it feels so good to give up the release...i feel free!
Old 10-01-2004, 08:19 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-02-2004, 09:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

It is very difficult for me to shoot a high letoff. It can be done, but in my case, it was much more difficult. I shoot fingers and my choice of bows is the Hoyt Protec with the cam 1/2. I had the opportunity to try both the 65 and 75% letoff. I prefer the 65% because there is more pressure on the string when I draw and much, much easier to get off the string when released. A few things to look for are longer axle to axle, longer brace height and longer sight window to accommodate your new anchor point. Also, you will need a good magnetic rest and cushion plunger. A launcher type rest will not cut it for fingers. I shoot an Oakie magnetic rest and Cavalier "the tone" button. Both are fully adjustable to fit any finger style of shooting and fine tune the setup to the precision you can't beat.
If you have any questions, post your thoughts on this segment and I will get back to you.
Good Hunting...
Old 10-02-2004, 10:11 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-02-2004, 10:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bowman, You have it down. I use a Neet tab in super leather. I grip the string with the last joints in my three middle fingers (split finger). When at full draw, I anchor my thumb and forefinger at the back of my jaw. When on target, just start to relax your fingers. Yes, it will feel strange for awhile, but do just what you are doing now. You'll soon feel confident and the anchor point will be located and you will be comfortable with your new style.
I was one of only a few fingers shooters at our club. Many fellow shooters went to a release, but I just like to shoot fingers. Well this year, while practicing, I saw more people shooting finger style than I have in 10 years. It's a great feeling.
Welcome aboard
Old 10-03-2004, 07:03 AM
Fork Horn

Glad to see there are other finger shoooters out there! When I've had questions in the past and asked at my local archery shop - they usually direct me to the release section! I'm using NAP's Centerrest Flipper Arrowrest. It seems to work OK, might have to check out the "Oakie magnetic rest and Cavalier "the tone" button". Also, currently I'm shooting bare fingered and always have except for cold weather when I use a thin polypro glove. I've been thinking of trying a tab or archery glove to help improve consistancy, but if its working out without one why add more equipment.
Old 10-03-2004, 07:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

The feel you describe is a result of the high letoff on your bow and is to be expected. A string with 15 pounds tension on it will not leave your fingers with the same authority that it would if it was under 25 pounds tension - like you'd have with 65% letoff.

But there is a way around it, if you want to give it a try.

When you begin getting a feel for the release, try letting the string roll from the creases of your joints out about halfway onto the pads of your fingertips before you begin your pull-through to release. With the low holding weight, you'll have plenty of strength to retain the string with no problem and there won't be so much finger surface for the string to drag across.

Just remember that -unless you've got extraordinarily strong fingertips- you'll have a hard time letting down without working the string back into those creases at the joints.

Have you checked to see if BowTech offers 65% letoff modules for your bow?

Edit:

Also, when it comes to gloves and tabs, I like a tab made of thin cordovan leather or one of the old red and black Black Widow tabs with superleather face. For hunting, I REALLY like using a Damascus glove. It's thin enough that I have excellent feel and control over the string, but thick enough that I can shoot all day and not wind up with sore piddies.

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.