Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

paper tuning?!?

Old 09-29-2004, 07:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default paper tuning?!?

If im shooting perfect and i mean perfect with my broadheads is there really any reason to paper tune?
Old 09-29-2004, 07:30 PM

Default RE: paper tuning?!?

I guess it would depend what you mean by "perfect"?? Are you hitting your spots from different ranges....etc....??? Define what you mean and i'm sure you'll get some answers.
Old 09-29-2004, 07:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

well i can hit a silver doller size spot on my block at 20 yards standing up croutching whatever i can hit it. at 10 yards its about an inch high but im pretty sure that because of my pendulum sight but my max is 25 yards and im hitting the same at all the ranges except for 10 yrds. which is hitting a little high. thanks for all the help
Old 09-29-2004, 08:08 PM

You should be fine. It's nice to have your broadheads hitting the same as your field tips though, that way your arrows are flying true and straight (i.e. better accuracy, deepest penetration, etc.). As long as your broadheads aren't steering left or right at any given distance I believe you have a pretty good setup IMO. Most deer are taken less than 25yds anyway and as long as you are deadly accurate to your self imposed max. shooting range then I say you are in great shape. However, if you are getting silver dollar groups at 20yds and do well to 25yds what's keeping you from taking a shot at 30yds at deer sized game? Do your groups open that much larger at 30?
Old 09-29-2004, 08:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

well i was thinking about extending my range but because i just bought a new bow this year i wanted to get good at the range that i was already comfortable shooting with my old bow, i will expand my range next hunting season to 30 maybe even 35 but we will see. thanks for all the help guys
Old 09-29-2004, 09:38 PM

ORIGINAL: bwhunter501

well i was thinking about extending my range but because i just bought a new bow this year i wanted to get good at the range that i was already comfortable shooting with my old bow, i will expand my range next hunting season to 30 maybe even 35 but we will see. thanks for all the help guys
Sounds like you are doing the right thing that is for sure. I wish a lot more hunters would be as respectful as you in this game of hunting. My wifes cousin missed a six point last weekend on a 40yd shot. I knew that boy hadn't practiced at all with his bow! We shot some Sunday afternoon and his arrows were way underspined, his bow wasn't tuned and his sights weren't even set. He shoots using fingers too! Not that he shouldn't shoot with fingers, I do with my other two bows. The problem is he never practices anything period even during gun season. The only time he fires anything is at game. It really makes me mad. I gave him my 2 cents on his idea of practicing, setup and hunting since he wouldn't let me help him. He couldn't even hit my block target at 20yds, what a moron. Anyway, sorry to get off subject but I commend you for answer on that. Keep up the practice and next season you'll be bragging about the one you took at 45yds!