Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Arthur P mentioned something...

Old 09-30-2004, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Arthur P mentioned something...

Art, from what point on the bow is deflex/reflex measured, centerline of the limb bolts?

Also, is there a point where no more deflex provides more potential accuracy, or is it a case of more is always better?

Put another way, what is the minimum amount of deflex necessary to gain the most accuracy potential?
Old 09-30-2004, 08:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I guess the bowman bows would be considered deflexed allso whit that handel sticking out front like it does .
Old 09-30-2004, 09:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Reflex/deflex is measured from the pivot point of the limb butts, not the limb bolts. It'll be somewhere between the limb bolts and the edge of the riser.

As far as your other questions, if there's a point of diminishing returns with deflex, as far as accuracy and forgiveness are concerned, I really don't know.

At 2" deflex, the Hoyt ProVantage/Superslam series bows are the most heavily deflexed bows I've ever shot and they were something! Even though those risers had a reputation for breaking, they're still my favorite compounds of all time. I won MANY tournaments with those bows, field archery and 3D. I even won a 3D shoot a couple years back with my Superslam Legacy, even though it only lobs a 2315 out there around 220 fps. (Getting whupped by an old fart with a 10 year old Hoyt really torqued off those Mathews shooters with their brand new Q2's.)

Now I shoot a ProTec with 1" deflex and, truthfully, I don't shoot it quite as well. The grips are very different though. The PV/SS have high wrist, hand filling grips that fit me like a glove - there is one way and ONLY one way I can grab their grips - while the ProTec grip is just two thin wooden plates screwed onto the sides of the skinny handle. It rattles around in my hand like a bean in a tin can. So, it's really hard to say for sure whether it's the less deflex or the undersize grip is what keeps me from shooting it as well.

Going back even further, past the Superslams, past the ProVantages, to my old Hoyt ProHunter, it had a straight riser. No reflex or deflex. I shot it very well, but I definitely shot the ProVantage better.

So, just based on my experiences, I'd say I would want at least 1" but not more than 2" of deflex if I was designing a riser for myself.
Old 09-30-2004, 09:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks.

I hear ya on the skinny grips. I'm struggling with mine, I much prefer the high wrist big palm swell grips of old. I have to pay strict attention to get the same grip each time, and while I'm able to maintain bowhunting accuracy just fine, I'd really prefer not to be so meticulous about gripping. I tried and tried the "minimal contact with the riser only hitting the web between your thumb and forefinger with an open hand" and I absolutely hated it, it's just not me.
Old 09-30-2004, 09:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yup! That can of Bondo I've got in the garage is just aching to be made into a high wrist grip on that ProTec.
Old 09-30-2004, 10:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

From pivot point of limbs to where? Deepest part of the grip on the string side of the riser, I assume?

If so, I just eyeballed mine, appears to be somewhere between 2-3"... Yeesh.
Old 09-30-2004, 01:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

From pivot point of limbs to where? Deepest part of the grip on the string side of the riser, I assume?
Yeah. Left that part out, didn't I. [&:]
Old 10-01-2004, 07:35 AM

Art....

Great posts....

One of these days Im bringing my stickbow and my compound to Dallas and shoot with you !