Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Copper John Third Axis on a Hoyt

Old 09-27-2004, 07:35 AM
Typical Buck

Default Copper John Third Axis on a Hoyt

After a recent discussion on the board, I set my Bowtech's third axis using the full draw/plumb bob method outlined on Spot Hoggs website. It really seemed to help at long ranges and tested well on the slopes too.

I was helping my neighbor do the same thing (he owns a left-handed Hoyt UltraTec) but got some wierd results. We had to shim the Copper John sight bracket out on the top so that the bubble fell between the lines when he was angled upward at full draw. This was simple enough, but when he aimed horizontally the bow leaned too far to the right (remember he's left handed) to be correct. To level the bubble on the horizontal shot the bow leaned a good 5 degrees. He said it felt wierd and it didn't look right either.

Could the TEC riser be flexing so much during the full draw that setting the 3rd axis may be inpractical for him? He admits having left/right trouble on sloped shots.
Old 09-27-2004, 09:27 AM

Default RE: Copper John Third Axis on a Hoyt

I have a Copper John Dead Nuts Hunter sight. 3 pin, Orange ring, camo, etc. Do I have a third axis to adjust? If so, where and how, and why isnt there some explanation given with the purchase of the sight?
Old 09-27-2004, 11:41 AM
Typical Buck

I don't think the Hunter has the 3rd axis adjustment, but here's the explanation of how to set one if you're still interested.

http://www.spot-hogg.com/3rd_axis_adj_.htm
Old 09-28-2004, 07:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Only the Pro III has 3rd axis adjustment, of the CJ fixed pin sights.