Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Fletching contact on some arrows but not all?

Old 09-24-2004, 04:44 AM

Default Fletching contact on some arrows but not all?

I am about at the end of my rope here. It seems every week i have some new problem crop up and i am getting really really frustrated with it.

I took my Justice back to the shop last week to show them how the cables were rubbing. They inspected them and said they would be ok to shoot. We then reversed the cables in the slide. I have a trophy ridge drop zone with the rope threaded through the hole in the slide. After reversing the cables in the slide the drop away didnt lift the whole way up anymore. It also changed my nocking point slightly. So i adjusted both of those. Now i am getting flecthing contact on the rest again. BUT it isnt on all of my arrows. Some have virtually no marks while others look hideous.

Prior to reversing the cables i had no contact at all on any of my arrows.

The bow seems to be tuned properly, i got a nice bullet hole while paper tuning and the arrows are grouping well, i just have this fletching contact that is aggravating the he!! out of me.
Old 09-24-2004, 06:24 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Fletching contact on some arrows but not all?

I think someone associated with Bowtech on this board looked at your cables and said they should be replaced immediately. Keep in mind that some "pro-shop" guys tend to base their opinions on what their personal workload is and what the dollar payoff will be. If it's the shop's fault and they're still insisting the cable doesn't need to be replaced, I'd get Bowtech directly involved. Their customer service is great.

I've got a Drop Zone on a Patriot and the cable is served into the lower cable. Also, it's timed so that the arm moves up when the arrow is about 5 inches from the foward tip. This also means that the arm drops when it's 5 inches from the tip. I suspect you may not be dropping fast enough. Draw the bow and estimate where on the arrow the arm first touches the shaft.
Old 09-24-2004, 06:39 AM

in regards to the cables, i am sorta stuck with them until i can afford to replace them. The shop says they are ok, Bowtech doesnt cover strings or cables under thier warranty.

i tried raising and lowering the nock point, and lengthening and shortening the rest rope. Still the same result. I am just confused as to why some arrows touch and some dont. They are all CE Terminator Hunter Selects with stock vanes. I really want to switch to quick spins but not until i get all the clearance issues figured out.
Old 09-24-2004, 06:41 AM
Typical Buck

Let us know where on the shaft the launcher arm initially comes in contact.
Old 09-24-2004, 07:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hopefully you've got a standard launcher rest laying around the house. If so, mount it on the bow and tune up with it. Since nothing else has worked, you need to investigate to see if the rest, itself, is the problem.

There comes a time when fashion must give way to function.
Old 09-24-2004, 07:58 AM

that is one question i had Arthur, if i get bullet holes and the groups are good should i be obsessing over some dinged up vanes on a couple arrows?

Could the arrow itself be a problem? I was shooting two arrows, one was contacting the other wasn't. I rotated the nocks on both, same results. I spun the contacting arrow on the table but there was no noticible wobble. I will test 2 different arrows tonight.

I had good groups at 20 and 30 yards last night, tonight i am going to set my 40 yard pin and check my broadhead flight. If the broadheads fly true out to 30-40 yards then i am going to be satisfied since next Saturday is opening day.
Old 09-24-2004, 08:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

First and foremost, the entire point of dropaway rests is to eliminate ALL fletching contact. So, yes, I'd be obsessing about any fletching contact. Regardless of what kind of holes I'm punching in a sheet of paper, regardless of what kind of accuracy I'm getting when standing flat footed in front of a target butt. Maybe it's good when you're using your very best form, standing on solid ground, shooting level with the target, but what's your accuracy going to be like when you're 20-30 feet up on the side of a tree at the moment of truth?

I hate you're having problems this close to opening day, but I'd hate even worse to hear you wounded and lost an animal because you went hunting with malfunctioning gear. If you're determined to hunt Saturday then, at the very least, use the arrows that are NOT getting contact.

I'd still recommend swapping out to a standard rest and at least seeing if it helps. Good luck.
Old 09-24-2004, 06:04 PM

well hopefully this problem will be eliminated tomorrow, i am taking it back to the shop and they are replacing the damaged cable for me, then i will make sure the clearance issue is taken care of before i leave
Old 09-25-2004, 03:06 PM

Problem solved

New cable installed and we ended up tying the drop zone rope into the down cable rather than using the hole in the slide. We determined that once the cables were configured properly the slide didnt move far enough fast enough to get the arm out of the way on the drop zone.

Once he tied the rope into the down cable there were zero clearance problems.