Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

?....Climber stands tree angles.

Old 09-23-2004, 10:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default ?....Climber stands tree angles.

I recently got a Lone Wolf Climber treestand. I haven' used it yet but will try it this weekend. My question........how straight does a tree have to be? Some trees are slightly curved the fisrt 14 to 16 feet but then straighten out up 20 feet. Do these work or are they really hard to climb?

Thanks
Old 09-24-2004, 04:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: ?....Climber stands tree angles.

Very dangerous to climb. Sometimes straight tree's aren't so straight which you find out once you start climbing.
I guess if it was the perfect tree you could attack the angle from the up side, but trying to climb under the angle will make it hard for the climber to dig in and go up.
Just my experience, but I've had some scary moments on crooked tree's.
Old 09-24-2004, 08:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

So on a tree bending slowly to the right, you want to try climbing up the left side?

Thanks
Old 09-24-2004, 11:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

you got that right, almost impossible to climb on the side it is bending towards. another thing is that you will have to allow for the bend once you reach your height or your stand will not be flat, either tipped to far up, which is not too bad, or tipped down, which is terrible, feels like you are sliding off it. i try to find two trees close together or growing out of the same stump, that way i can swing between them once i get to the height i want, and either reach out and touch the other tree, or even use it to hang my bow on. first couple of times it will be rough, but the more you climb the better you will become. watch trees with smooth bark, especially in the rain, stand has a tendency to slip on these. and USE THE SAFETY HARNESS.
Old 09-25-2004, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator

Take your time learning how to use any climbing stand. That traction belt Lone Wolf uses is strong and flexible, and it provides better stability and safety than other climbers in my opinion. Still, the straighter the tree the better for any climbing stand.