Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Bow wax - Newbie question

Old 03-02-2002, 10:06 AM

Default Bow wax - Newbie question

When and how much should I wax my bow string? What am I trying to accomplish?
Old 03-02-2002, 11:46 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Bow wax - Newbie question

WHen your string starts to look dry thats when you put it on i don't know how much to put on i get put some on a rub it in.
Old 03-02-2002, 12:05 PM

Enouph to keep your strings looking nice and smooth. whenever you see little hairs start to stick out from your string, rub some wax on your string. and work it deep into the strands with your fingers. you can't really use to much. ~DREW~
Old 03-02-2002, 03:02 PM

You should probably wax it every time after you shoot it and when the string starts to look dry or whenever hairs start to fray up.
The reason people wax their string is to keep it in good shape. Also, it gives it a good look. Rub the wax in, you can never use too much really. A friend of mine take a piece of leather to rub it in. If you wax your string regularly and when it's needed, your string will last much much longer than otherwise. Without wax on the string, anything that touches the string might cause little hairs to flair up and as time goes by many hairs will come up untill the bowstring finally snaps while your shooting it whipping you in the eye blinding that eye and causing a dry fire without a string in which the bow would fly appart and the limbs would smash your face in. Why do you ask?
Old 03-02-2002, 05:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Brain, wax the snot out of the string and cables. Every time you take it out to shoot it, wax it. Get a small piece of soft suede leather and use it to rub the wax in real good.

Some people will say that waxing is not necessary, and it's really not... as long as you're willing to get 1/3 the life out of your string/cables as you would if you waxed 'em.

We'll be starting our weekly Thursday night 3D shoots in Denton on the 11th next month. Come over and shoot with us when you get the chance!
Old 03-02-2002, 08:14 PM

Where at in Denton? That's alot closer than any other ranges besides Backwoods and it is really just haybales in a field.
Old 03-02-2002, 08:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Brian, check your e-mail.
Old 03-03-2002, 07:35 AM

Arthur, Nothing in email yet!
Old 03-03-2002, 07:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well, Brian, that's got me stumped! One of those internet gremlins must have stolen that mail. Okay, I'll just give you the directions. Hope I'm not violating forum rules.

You know how to get to Backwoods. Our range is west of there down 380. Around the 380/377 interchange there is a truckstop. Across from the truck stop is Pottery Shop Rd. Turn south on Pottery Shop and go down till you hit the stop sign. Take a right onto Tipps Rd. Our range will be on the right, about a mile down. We're behind the only 6' chain link fence on the road, so you can't miss it.

If you wind up missing Pottery Shop, go on down and take a left at the Texaco. That would be Mosely. Take Mosely south until it dead ends into Tipps and turn left. We're about .2 mile from Mosely.

We keep a 14 target 3D range up all year and we've got a practice range from 10 to 60 yards. Fiberboard butts for the trads and Morrell bags for carbon flinging compounds.

Try shooting me an e-mail if you want some more info on the club.

Edited by - Arthur P on 03/03/2002 08:55:38