Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

carbon arrows

Old 09-23-2004, 09:10 AM
Fork Horn

Default carbon arrows

I want to purchase carbon arrows for my new bow set up - Renegade
TR-4, 60#, 80% let off w/ a Vital Gear drop away rest. What is the correct size arrow, and which is better- fletches or vains. I shoot w/ a release. I have been told that fletches are better than vains, and that vains are better than fletches. Any suggestions or info.
Old 09-23-2004, 12:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: carbon arrows

Hi Konk, welcome to the forums.

For anyone to make recommendations they'd need to know what your arrow length is. Best approach would be to take your bow to a local shop and have them take the measurement for you.
Old 09-23-2004, 07:33 PM

Go with carbon express...best carbon arrows on the market

slayer
Old 09-23-2004, 08:09 PM

Since no one has taken a shot at your vanes vs. feathers question, I'll take a shot.

While this is a long standing debate, if you use a little common sense with what your needs are, you may find a very obvious answer. I'll give an example:

The last arrows I had were fletched with feathers. While they flew nice, I am a big fan of the whisker bisquit and I mainly hunt. Since it's always raining here, I had a very hard time keeping the feathers dry and when they are wet, the whisker bisquit eats them.

That said, it made the most sense for me to simply switch to vanes on my new arrows. While they may or may not fly as well, I think they will be more durable.

If no answer is obvious, you're opening a huge debate here and it all really boils down to what shoots best with your bow. You may have to try a half dozen different arrow / fletch combinations before you find one that works best for your setup.

Good luck!
Old 09-24-2004, 05:25 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the reply. That is exactly what I have been told as far as fletches vs vains. Fletches fly better but retain moisture in wet weather. Vains repel moisture but do not fly as consistant. What about durability?
Old 09-24-2004, 03:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

By all means get you some Korean Express. Where did all the jobs go???