Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Blazer vanes

Old 09-23-2004, 04:55 AM
Spike

Default Blazer vanes

I would like to try Bohning Blazer vanes , could someone tell me if they have used them . And what would be the best way to fletch them , Strait or offset or helical .

Thanks Frank
Old 09-23-2004, 06:30 AM

Default RE: Blazer vanes

i use them. i really like them. i like shooting groups and they don't tear up like other vanes i've used. its amazing really, how long they last. i put a bit more offset on them than i do a 4" vane, but when on the arrow it looks about the same because they are only 2 inches. i don't helical, but that's just me and not popular opinion. if you do a google search on them you can get 2 packs of 100 for around $28 from eagle archery. if you just buy 1 you have to pay like a $3 or $4 handling fee. if you spend over $25 you get free shipping. i've looked at other places and $14 for 100 is a bit high, but once you figure in shipping other places cost more. the first thing i did was buy a 36 pack to see if i liked them and when i was suddenly spending 0 time at the fletching jig i decided i really did. plus they fly great and its easy to see your arrow spin correctly or wobble.
Old 09-23-2004, 07:56 AM

I just bought a dozen Gold Tip XT's from Eders with them. I ordered right helical, but they are so short, I doubt you can tell the difference between helical and offset. I am very pleased with their performance. Maybe I just got lucky, but all I did was slap on a drop away at the recommended distance from my riser, and I have 125 grain Thunderheads flying right with my field points and my Rockets. I won't have any worries if I decide mid season, or mid hunt even, if I decide to switch to a Thunderhead, which I like to do when I hear a pack of hoggs on their way.
Old 09-23-2004, 07:57 AM
Spike

Gibblet Do you use a strait or a Helical clamp . And How far from the nock do you place the vanes .

Thanks for the reply

Deercutter
Old 09-23-2004, 02:42 PM
Typical Buck

I also tried the blazers for the first time this year, and am hooked. My broadhead groups have never been better. I was able to consistently get a 3 arrow group with all of the vanes touching from 48 yards. That was with a fixed blade Montec head.

I have mine fletched helical, although I agree that with a vane that short there is not much difference between helical and offset.

The vane should be placed the same distance from the nock that your do for all of your normal fletching, somewhere between 3/4 and 1" from the nock end of the shaft.
Old 09-23-2004, 07:20 PM

deercutter, my vanes start 1 and 1/16 inches from the end of the shaft. i use a straight clamp and put a little offset on it. get yourself some bright yellow ones, you can see them forever. i put a magic marker line on my offset.
Old 09-23-2004, 07:24 PM

Deercutter,
I'm gonna have to put my 2 cents in on this one. First of all, I shoot the Blazer vanes and love them. My arrows group well-I don't shoot at the same dot for fear of de-vaning my arrows But I do/did have one problem with them. I bought a 100 pack from the Bass Pro and took them to my local proshop to have them put on my also new easton axis shafts. They fletched 6 to test-it was the first Blazers he had done-and to my disgust, they peeled right off the shaft the next day. He was using Beyond Bond glue with an accelerator. We tried several things, including sanding the shafts and putting a wrap on them, but NOTHING worked. I called the company and they sent me another pack of vanes saying that was the problem. WRONG! Same thing happened so I called them again. The second time they sent me another 36 vanes, the Blazer wraps, and a bottle of their Fletch-Tite platinum glue. By this time I was tired of paying to refletch my arrows so I bought a Bitzenburger Dial-O-Fletch and tried it myself. After a few test arrows, I got the hang of it and fletched 6 good arrows. That was about 3 weeks ago and after shooting them probably 30-40 times apiece, they are still looking and holding good as new. The point of my BOOK, is to tell you to be sure you use their glue or some other glue that has been tested with the Blazers. Like I said before, they are great vanes and they also have great customer service. But it is a lot less frustrating if you don't have to use their customer service!!! Good luck and good shooting!
Old 09-23-2004, 10:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

The_Hunter

I'm surprised your proshop didn't use the correct glue from the start.[&:] I'd say that was a problem with your proshop and not the Blazer Vanes. The package directions even say to use fast-set glue and No accelorator of any kind. When I fletch mine with the fast-set I can do an arrow litteraly in seconds and you'll have a heck of a time trying to rip them off.

I absolutely love those Blazer Vanes! The hotest thing since sliced bread.
Old 09-23-2004, 10:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use the blazers exclusively and love them!
Old 09-24-2004, 03:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am in the middle of testing them right now. So far the results are very positive. I am using a hard right helical that ends up looking more like a good offset becuase of the short nature of the vanes. The stick very well using fletch tite platnium and seem to control arrows, very well. Even at speeds of 285 fps. I still have some more "testing" but things are looking good so far.

Quick Reply: Blazer vanes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.