Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Blazer vanes

Old 09-24-2004, 05:30 AM

Default RE: Blazer vanes

i'm shooting around 294 w/ gold tip 75/95's, .003, and have shot them in groups with 4 inch offset vanes with no trouble. and i really can't say enough how much easier it is to see the blazers in flight, and what they are doing. i shoot with both eyes open, which helps anyway when seeing your arrow, but the blazers make a big difference for me. its a constant reminder when i see a wobbler to not punch, grab, torque, etc. i'm not sure why i can't see the 4" vanes as well (same color), but it really is a big difference, and hopefully will help me in the field this year.
Old 09-24-2004, 06:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

For me, they seemed to control broadheads better than 4" straight offset vanes, especially beyond 30 yards. I was impressed enough to start doing all my fletching with Blazers. I use Left Helical with them, and they still clear my shoot through rests just fine due to the short length.
Old 09-24-2004, 11:01 AM

I don't mean to change the subject here, but I've got a question. How can you make a hard right helical with these vanes? I'm very new to the process but it seems that every time I try to adjust my Bitz for more of an angle, either the top or the bottom of the vane will not be setting flush with the shaft. I have a Dial-O-Fletch with a right helical jig. Like I am fletching now, there is very little angle on the vanes. Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 09-24-2004, 03:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think what they mean is they get as much angle as they can while still maintaining full contact with the front and back of fletching. Thats what I do anyway.
Old 09-27-2004, 05:04 AM
Spike

Thanks for all the replies . I should recieve my vains this week and I will try an offset and a helical fletch and see what works best .

Thanks Frank
Old 09-27-2004, 08:23 PM

I have some on the way now after reading all these reviews. I also ordered a new slide (Hicks) to pull the cables over further on my Patriot. Hopefully I wont have any vane clearance problems. I normally use Sure Foots Fast Fletch glue but have had trouble getting it to stick well with normal Bohning vanes. I had a old tube of Saunders NPV cement and it seemed to work well with the Bohnings. What is everyone else using with the Blazers? I was planning on doing a 6 degree helical on my grayling with them. What do you think? Sharkey
Old 09-28-2004, 08:58 AM

I've been using the Blazers for a couple of months and like them alot. Will be using them this fall on my hunting arrows.

I've used the Beyond Bond glue along with my Arizona fletcher and have had absolutely no problems at all. Not one vane has peeled off. The directions on the package do say not to clean the base of the vane with anything, and I believe the Beyond Bond glue works best with a water based cleaner that you use on the arrow before fletching.
Old 10-02-2004, 06:34 AM
Spike

I recieved my vains and fletched them with a halical and they work great . Both target and broad heads hit perfect . I am using G5 montecks for the first time and the combonation works fine .I cant wait to hit the woods .

Good luck to All !!!!

Thanks Frank