Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Do these arrows have enouph spine?

Old 09-22-2004, 08:13 AM

Default Do these arrows have enouph spine?

Just bought an 04' Patriot Dually. Maxes out at 74/75 pounds, which is where i will shoot it. I have two dozen Gold Tip XT 5575's. Are these arrows a good match for my new set up? iM STILL DEBATING ON 100GRAIN HEADS OR 125's. Not sure if i want the speed or KE yet, although, really, i have both with either wieght. But will these arrows do the job?
Old 09-22-2004, 08:40 AM

Default RE: Do these arrows have enouph spine?

how long are they?
Old 09-22-2004, 09:01 AM

oh, yea, sorry, they are 27.5".
Old 09-22-2004, 09:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd say you were borderline with these arrows.Try them out and if you are not getting proper flite,then id switch to the 75-95.With your bow in choice i'd go with the heavier option.
Old 09-22-2004, 09:35 AM

According to their chart I would say you are borderlined. If it were me I would get some 7595's but only after trying your 5575's first. They may fly well. I shoot 5575's out of my Mathews at 70lbs with at length of 28.5 and I am borderlined as well but they fly very good with 100gr points including broadheads. However, I also shoot 125gr broadheads as well, and according to the chart for me I'm underspined, still get great groups in line with my 100gr broadheads and fieldtips. There aren't any signs that I'm underspined. I would say give them a try and see what happens.

Here's GoldTips chart and where you are at.

Old 09-22-2004, 11:20 AM

Thanks for all the good info fellas. I'll give em a try and see what happens. Just curious, what are some common flight probs when underspined? Whippy flight or just inconsistant groups? So I will know what to look for. When I go to paper tune will I find the problem there or does it take more of a "flight" for the problems to appear? Thanks again.
Old 09-22-2004, 09:45 PM

Bare shaft tuning will usually identify if your arrows have the correct spine for your setup. I suggest you download Easton's Tuning Guide and read it thoroughly if you haven't done so already. You can download it from this link: http://www.eastonarchery.com/downloa...ning_guide.zip. Usually a good sign right away is your arrows fishtailing and not grouping well. Try shooting some field tips then shoot some with broadheads (be sure your broadheads are spin tested not to wobble). You eventually want the field tips and broadheads to group together when you get down to your final tuning. They may shoot left or right of your field tips and that is ok for now as long as they have tight groups. You can bring them together by moving your rest or nock point depending on where they hit. When checking spine you are looking for tight groups with NO fliers or wide erratic groups. If they fishtail that will be a dead giveaway about spine issues. Sometimes it is hard to distinguish between spine issues and a bad out of tune bow, hence the bare shaft test. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Old 09-23-2004, 05:22 AM

also keep an eye on your grain per pound rating.

I was using 5575s 26" long and just barely made 5 grains per pound at 70bs.