Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Hoyt string jumps off Cams !!!!

Old 09-20-2004, 09:16 AM

Default Hoyt string jumps off Cams !!!!

Wow, 10 days before season and my bow was shooting perfect and then.....

Last practice shot of the night and when I let the arrow go it sounded like a 22 went off and my string and harness were limp. Everything is intact and still together, but there is no tension on the limbs and the string/harness is off the wheel and cam. I am shooting a 2002 Hoyt Magnatec with the NT2000 limbs and a single cam, drawing around 65 lbs at 80% letoff. The string and harness are less than a year old and in good shape and the top wheel and cam are as you would expect......nothing is broken and everything appears to be in working order. So I take it to the dealer this morning and start asking questions and he basically tells me "yah it happens" and just kinda blew me off....... I am sorry, but I need a little more information than that. I mean I have to assume that this is not normal, but can I expect it to happen again? Can any of you guys give me some feedback on this problem and any possible preventive measures? I would also like to input on a portable bow press to fix any future problems in the field.

Thanks
Old 09-20-2004, 10:12 AM

Default RE: Hoyt string jumps off Cams !!!!

Was this a dry fire or did the arrow hit the target on that shot?
Old 09-20-2004, 10:30 AM

The arrow made it somewhere downrange.......it was dusky and I could not find it last night.
Old 09-20-2004, 10:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

I would also like to input on a portable bow press to fix any future problems in the field.
I have one that I take on pack in trips. To tell you the truth, I never used it. I have a broken in string with loop and cable that I that I also take with me. Usually I don't take it with on my normal outings. Problem is, is that I would have to still take some practice shoots and check the tuning before using the new string for hunting.
Old 09-20-2004, 08:03 PM
Fork Horn

Just something to check, make sure the cable rod is not out excessively. We had a short ata bow come into the shop and the cable rod was turned out so the vanes wouldn't contact the cables. This put too much angle on the cables and they were threatening to come off. Now this bow wasn't cut out for centershot so it is probrably different then what you are looking for but wouldn't hurt to check.
Old 09-21-2004, 12:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

The arrow made it somewhere downrange.......it was dusky and I could not find it last night.
I was at the range with my buddy just last year and we were shooting side by side when all of a sudden I hear crrrrACK!!! Sounded just like a 22 rifle fire. I look over and knew imediately what happened by the look of shame on his face and the fact I never seen an arrow fly down range. Yep , he was busy talking with me and never loaded an arrow.[]
It happens to at least one person every year at our local range.
I'm not saying it's what happened to you but it sure sounds familiar.
If you did have an arrow nocked I'll bet it didn't leave your string with the guidance of your rest.
Old 09-21-2004, 03:51 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-21-2004, 07:22 AM

OK guys here is the rest of the story........

I found my arrow and it was downrange and intact. I found a Hoyt dealer that actually had a clue and he measured my harness and string and inspected the wheel, cam and limbs and everything seems OK. I shot about a 100 arrows last night with no problems, so I am going to assume it was a fluke and not worry about it to much. There is not a whole lot I can do at this point as the bow shops in my area don't have any 31" bows in stock anyways and season is only a few days off. Just in case I am sighting in my old PSE and taking some time to shoot it a litlle bit .... just in case of emergency.

Thanks for all the input......