Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Cable wear issue, is this bow safe to shoot?

Old 09-19-2004, 07:20 PM

Default Cable wear issue, is this bow safe to shoot?

I was waxing my strings tonight when i noticed what i feel is excessve wear just above the cable slide on my Bowtech Justice. The cables are crossed above the slide and actually rub against each other. This is just how the appear in the owners manual also. The Liberty's cables are crossed below the slide. If i cross the Justice cables below the slide there is a slight gap between them and they dont rub each other.

here is a pic of their original location and thier current condition

If i switch positions in the cable slide they would look like this.

I will be calling ths shop where i bought the bow tomorrow but i wanted to see if anyone here could shed some light on this for me. If the cable/string does need replaced I am thinking that the shop or Bowtech should cover the cost since that is how the bow was originally setup. By the way this bow is only 1 month old.
Old 09-19-2004, 07:28 PM

Default RE: Cable wear issue, is this bow safe to shoot?

I will admit that I don't know everything about archery but I do know that what you have is a dangerous situation. I would not shoot that bow until you get the strings replaced. If it is only a month old the string should be under some kind of warranty. I dont' own a Bowtech so I cannot say how good their service is but I would really push the shop you bought it from to replace the string and cable for free. A real bummer since archery season is already here.
Old 09-19-2004, 07:32 PM

I am really new at this game, but find it very satisfying when I come accross a problem like this. Reason: I had EXACTLY the same problem.

Took my bow back to the shop after a month noticing extreme string wear - exactly what your pics show. We put a serving on the cable and did exactly what you suggested - rather crossed the cables below the slide. Initially I didn't like that very much - the bow came with the cables crossed on top and I wanted it to stay that way, but good common sense prevailed and I left the shop with cables crossed below the slide.

I now have 0 wear on the cables and the bow is shooting better than ever. I had to resight though - the bow was shooting slightly to the right and slightly low. So I just moved my pins down. Strange thing though - before my pins were very much equi-distant. Now, there is very little gap between my 20 yd pin and my 30 yd pin. Not sure if this is due to the adjustment?

Nonetheless - the bow works fine. Go ahead and just do it.

Greg
Old 09-19-2004, 07:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't shoot that again until the string/cable get replaced. That just looks dangerous. [&:] My Patriot manual says the cables should cross below the cable guard and not above.
Old 09-20-2004, 04:15 AM

greg - it is kinda good to know that i am not alone. If your pins got closer it probably means you picked up some speed, which would be logical one the friction between the two strings is eliminated.

Jeramy - i looked at all the bows in the manual and the Justice is the only bow with the cables crossed above the slide.
Old 09-20-2004, 05:45 AM
Typical Buck

I can't comment on whether or not it's safe to shoot, but this is one of the reasons I replaced the stock slide with an Alpine. I've got absolutely no wear on my cable or string with this roller slide. IMO, it made the draw noticably smoother as well, although this is probably a function of how high your draw weight is set.

Fritz
Old 09-20-2004, 06:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Cables should always be crossed below on the Bowtechs (and most single-cam bows period). The pic in the catalog is an error made during the photoshoot, IIRC.

Get those replaced ASAP. DON"T shoot it!
Old 09-20-2004, 04:26 PM

After all this a question just begs to be asked: If Bowtech do their 73 checks and balances before the bow goes out, why was this not picked up? Perhaps they should extend their scope to 74: #74 Make sure the cables don't rub against each other and cross below the cable slide.

Cheers,
Greg
Old 09-20-2004, 06:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

After all this a question just begs to be asked: If Bowtech do their 73 checks and balances before the bow goes out, why was this not picked up?
Because BowTech probably didn't do it. Notice the drop away cord. Some people cross above when they install a drop away to try to get acceptable arrow flight. The person putting on the rest probably did it.
Old 09-20-2004, 06:51 PM

The cables have been crossed like that since the day i test shot it, the other Justice in the shop was set up exactly the same, and both match the picture in the manual

Quick Reply: Cable wear issue, is this bow safe to shoot?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.