Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Cable wear issue, is this bow safe to shoot?

Old 09-21-2004, 08:12 AM

Default RE: Cable wear issue, is this bow safe to shoot?

Len set up my Justice with the cables crossing below the the cable slide. He apparently knows the right way to do it.

Pat at Bowtech techinical support agrees with the way Len did it. He said that the photo is an error and that the cables should cross below the cable rod on all Bowtechs.

I seem to remember that Bowtech had problems getting their 2004 owner's manuals out on time. Looks like at least one error slipped through.

Good luck with the shop.

Allen
Old 09-21-2004, 08:30 AM

Allen:

You were not aware and this is one time I will respectfully have to disagree with you. I did not put your cross below the cable slide - BowTech does it that way. I seriously get tired of 'correcting' the 'cross' issue in my shop.

BowTech started this trend when they found out that they could get another 1-2 fps out of their bows by changing the standard and/or by going 'against the grain. I agree with the extra speed but could only get between 1/2 to 1 fps more in my tests. Once they did it, many other manufacturers decided to do it. IT IS WRONG, IMPO.

Take the cable slide off and let the cables hang loose. Wherever the cables cross is how they should be assembled. This will keep the wear down at the slide area.

You will find, as a norm, that the smaller idler design will cross above the cable guard and the larger idler design will cross below the cable guard.

Hope this helps, and I know I've now ruffled a LOT of feathers.
Old 09-21-2004, 08:45 AM

thanks guys, better judgement prevailed and i decided not to shoot until i get it fixed. I am taking it in tonigh to see what can be done.

Hopefully something can be worked out since opening day here in PA is next Saturday (Oct 2nd).
Old 09-21-2004, 12:43 PM

Len,
No ruffled feathers here.
I have my Justice with me for some practice at lunch and I checked it before I posted. The cable cross is below the slide. On bows that you set up for me, I don't make changes like that. I have a lot more confidence in your expertise than in mine.
I'll try pulling the slide off tonight.

Why do you feel that above is the better way?

Thanks,
Allen
Old 09-21-2004, 02:25 PM

I suspect Len from Maryland knows what he is talking about. That's what got me more worried at the time when we moved my cable crossing from above the slide to below the slide - the shop owner's Bowtech Patriot was crossed above the slide and shooting fine. But then - the Patriot has the smaller idler cam! I did not make the connection at the time - but in my defence: he had 2 untouched Justices and one untouched Pro-40 on the rack - they were brand new, undrawn, un-accessorized and all of them crossed the cables above the slide. And the cables were touching each other in the case of the Justices!

So not quite fair to blame the dude who installed the drop away. I think we can lie this issue squarely at Bowtech's door. (make no mistake - I am happy with my Lib now that she is sorted and wouldn't change it for the world).

Greg