Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

set up for paper tuning

Old 09-16-2004, 10:35 AM

Default set up for paper tuning

I tried paper tuning this past week. let me say it is not hard to do-per say, its just kinda hard to set up for. I need some help and I think I speak for alot of us when I say this is a little tricky.

I tried to find a nice flat spot outside, built a nice wooden frame, stretched paper over it, frame has 2 legs that slide down into poles that makes a stand. Where I went wrong I think was making it about 3' tall to match my yellow jacket target. So I had to shoot on my knees. Paper about 3-5 feet in front of me, target about 5-10 feet behind that, used field points as you are supposed to. Got some nick low/left tares, so I adjusted and everything worked fine. Got a slight nock left, perfect height. Then got it all adjusted.

Can I trust this, as I wwas on my knees and there may have been wind?

I know about how to adjust for tares, nock high low etc, but does anyone have pictures of their paper tuning set up?

Thanks
Old 09-16-2004, 11:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: set up for paper tuning

You'd probaby laugh if you saw my papertune set up. I have a box from a 3-d target (have also used tree stand boxes) that I made a window on the front and back of with a box cutter. I scotch tape the paper to cover the window. I place the box on top of a stool so that the middle of the window is shoulder height. I put my target about 3 feet behind the bow on a shelf in the garage. All of my paper tuning is done in the garage.
Old 09-16-2004, 11:38 AM

I think my method is just a little more low-tech. I open up one of the sliding doors in the back of the house, tape the paper across the opening, and set my Block on a step ladder outside. But there's nothing out there for my arrow to damage should I happen to miss for some reason. The closest neighbor is about 1/2 mile away. And it's just the wife & I in the house so I don't have to worry about anyone walking within harms way (and the wife is usually safely planted on the couch in front of the tv[]).
Old 09-16-2004, 11:43 AM

That's pretty funny...it would be even funnier, except you described exactly the way I built mine. And yes, I shoot on my knees too.

I've thought about a way to lift my target more, maybe put it on top of a table, then I could just raise my tuner, but haven't gotten around to it.
Old 09-16-2004, 05:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

THis is quite a funny but appropriate topic for me. I built a paper tuning frame out of some left over 2x4's from a remodelling addition project. They are all bowed and twisted ones I had left. I sat my block target on a sheet of OSB sitting across saw horses. Only problem was its too short for me to stand straight up, but too high to sit down, so I just duck a little.
Old 09-16-2004, 06:10 PM

great! now I don't feel as dumb as I look...you could only imagine exactly how dumb I feel!

I am goign to re paper tune about 2-3 more times just to make sure you know.

How do you guys not get the arrows stuck so deep in the target you can't get them out or where they shoot through them because of it so close to the paper? I tried putting mine about 5 yards behind the paper, but was scared to death of missing the target all together as I was focusing on the paper.

I did get tunes up, went to shoot, of course wanted to try broadheads to see if they patterned close, went back to 30 yards, let one rip . . . it grazed the top of my brand new morrell yellow jacket, sliced through the plastic which fell off, and kept on ripping into a big field of very tall grass and weeds. Needless to say a bran new gold tip and broadhead ($15 are in the weeds, as I looked for over an hour. Ok, so I fooled with the rest, nock point, and put on a broadhead and shot from 30 yards......all using the pre determined yardage pin placements for fieldpoints before the other parts were messed with.

Do you think Robin Hood had it this hard? Sometimes i just wish we could pick something up, not have to fiddle and faddle, and shoot it, you know?

But I guess we wouldn't have a forum, and the manufacturers wouldn't make the quick $!

Later
Old 09-16-2004, 07:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I want to have perfect form for mine so i do it standing. I hang paper from the rafters of my garge and set my block on a work bench 3 feet behind it.
Old 09-16-2004, 09:04 PM

I also do as BobCo 19-65 stated, I use a treestand box and cut openings on front and back, then tape freezer paper on the front. I then set the box on a stand or whatever you have so that it's chest high, so I can shoot my arrow perfectly straight through the paper. I do this in my basement and I hang a bag target from the floor joists with chain or rope,
so that the target is positioned about 3 ft. behind the box. Works great!
Old 09-16-2004, 11:53 PM
Typical Buck

I use a wooden frame that was attatched to the bottom of a dresser I bought a few years ago. The wood is made of 1"X3" particle board, but it is tall enough that I can shoot standing up. Then I just tape some newspaper across the opening. I use my hoe to prop it up in the garage, and stacked my Block on the toolbox behind it so I wouldn't put a broadhead through the wall. Whatever works and is the least expensive.
Old 09-17-2004, 05:16 AM

Can I trust this, as I wwas on my knees and there may have been wind?
Personally, I never trust a paper tune, no matter how it was obtained. I use it whenever I tune a bow, but it is just to see that everything is close. My fine tuning is done on the range. I group tune for vertical grouping and then for horizontal grouping at different distances. If I'm unfamiliar with a particular arrow I'm trying, I will bare shaft tune - simply to test spine (before group tuning). I have found that if spine is adequate, I get real close with just the bare shaft tuning.