Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Is this right? feathers hitting cable.

Old 09-15-2004, 01:32 PM

Default Is this right? feathers hitting cable.

Hello,
I have a Jennings Buckmaster and when i pull back my feathers rub on my cables. I don't know if ist supposed to do that or not but its ruining my feathers. Thanks for any help.
Old 09-15-2004, 01:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Is this right? feathers hitting cable.

Probably shouldn't have that situation.

Is your cable guard adjusted to give you max clearance? If not adjust it so the cables just clear the fletch. If you can't gain clearance, maybe tune your arrows/nocks, if possible to still have clearance at your rest.
Old 09-15-2004, 01:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you have the swing arm cable guard, good luck. Until you address the contact, you can't hope to tell if the bow is tuned or not...
Old 09-15-2004, 02:08 PM

Yes I do have the swingarm cable guard. What can i do to fix the problem?
thanks
Old 09-15-2004, 03:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just ran into this problem today and it may be your's too. Make sure the bolt holding the swing arm is tight. A guy came into the shop today complaining about his cables being too far left at full draw. His problem was a loose bolt holding the cable guard.
Old 09-15-2004, 03:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BGfisher

Just ran into this problem today and it may be your's too. Make sure the bolt holding the swing arm is tight. A guy came into the shop today complaining about his cables being too far left at full draw. His problem was a loose bolt holding the cable guard.
Yep that is common, and the firs t3 or 4 years they were building bows w/ the swing-arm, they were just plain machined without enough clearance. I had that prob on my Speedstar XLR, and my original BuckMaster. My Epic was good for clearance. The newer swing-arms are much better.
Old 09-16-2004, 12:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good post. I have a similar problem, but since I shoot a drop away, I just adjusted my nocks to achieve clearance. I should look into adjusting the cable guard, but not until AFTER the season as I am shooting well. After all, if it aint broke dont fix it.
Old 09-16-2004, 09:33 PM

Well I called an Archery shop and they told me to just put a standars cable guard on it instead of the swing arm. My cousin has a darton that he said I could take it off of and it can turn so I can adjust how far away it is from my feather. So I think I will try that if any one thinks its a bad Idea please tell me. Thanks, foor all the help so far. Bowhunting starts this saturday so I hope to fix the prob and get a good group soon.
Old 09-17-2004, 06:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: eeswanson

if any one thinks its a bad Idea please tell me.
It depends. You need to make sure the replacement cale guard is not torquing the limbs excessively. If it's pulling the cable & string over farther thatn they are, I'd be be very careful. The Swing arm has the most pressure near the arrow pass so that there is the least amount of limb torque as possible. By going to a standard upper or lower cable guard, there likely will be more torque to get the same amount of clearance as the slider will now be closer to either limb (instead of center).

The Jennings split limbs (especially the longer recurve ones on the Buckmaster/EPic, TRX, etc) are very susceptible to twisting under excess pressure...that was the reason the Swingarm cable guard was designed.

If It were me, I would put on a drop-away rest or a Whisker Biscuit type rest so that I could shoot cock feather sideways (or nearly sideways) and get appropriate clearance without putting excess torque on the limbs.

The other option is a low profile vane instead of feathers, but both of my suggestions may be unnerving if your season is starting soon.