Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Outback and WB tuning questions

Old 09-15-2004, 02:11 AM

Default Outback and WB tuning questions

I just had my outback set up and tuned last night. The shop had me shoot it through paper and it was shooting a good bullet hole. Once I got it home and was looking it over I noticed a couple of things that didn't quite look right. First my whisker biscuit is pushed all the way over as far as it will go to the left (left hand bow) this is giving me a center shot of about 1/2" and very little vane clearance along the riser. Second my loop is set at least a 1/2" above ninety degrees and my arrow looks like it is doing a nose dive. I know it looked good on paper but does that necesarily mean it it tuned right? I think it is about time I learned to do this tuning stuff myself I am tired of always wondering if it was done right.
Old 09-15-2004, 07:26 AM

Default RE: Outback and WB tuning questions

Paper tuning is just a starting point. Try group tuning 3 arrows at twenty yards. You can also fine tune your set up vertically and horizontaly using 1/2 masking tape on your target face. Go to the eastonarchery website and download their Arrow tuning and maintenance guide. It will show you in detail how to fine tune your bow.
Old 09-15-2004, 07:32 AM

Here is the link http://www.eastonarchery.com/downloads/. Forgot to mention the centershot on my Outback is 11/16ths.
Old 09-15-2004, 07:39 AM

I agree, the Easton Tuning guide is a great place to find some good info.

I'm sure every bow is different, but I'm guessing you'll find much better arrow flight if you set your nock almost right at 90 degrees with the biscuit.

As far as center shot, I'd also guess that it will likely end up a little further from your riser. Shoot at that vertical line as Bowshopper mentioned and don't worry about moving your pins at this point. As you shoot from futher back, your arrows should be impacting in the same relation to that vertical line. If they move further left/right as you move back adjust your rest accordingly. Once you've got them all hitting the same vertical line, then you can adjust your sight left/right & then you should be ready to set the elevation of your pins.
Old 09-15-2004, 09:27 AM

I've paper tuned one bow in my life, that was last weekend, so I'm certainly no expert. With that said, I followed the Easton tuning guide when tuning my legacy with a drop tine WB and ended up with settings very similar to yours. My nock point is approx. 5/16 to 3/8 of an inch above level and my rest is as far to the right (R/Handed) as it can go, which is approx. 1/4 to 5/16 to the right of "centered". I'm getting bullet holes from 5ft. out to 10 yards and noticed a big improvement(smoother) in the way the bow shoots now, so I'm fairly confident that it's tuned. I'm going to shoot my Thunderheads today or tomorrow, so we'll see for sure. Good luck.