Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

F.O.C.

Old 09-13-2004, 05:07 PM

Default F.O.C.

What is a good setup for front of center for hunting arrows? Any help or replys will be appriciated.
Old 09-13-2004, 07:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: F.O.C.

10 - 12% will work nicely. Good luck.
Old 09-14-2004, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

FOC = one of the less important tuneing factors , unless your a feild archer shooting 100 yards .
Old 09-14-2004, 08:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

I try to keep it in the 10-15% for fixed bladed broadheads. I disagree with people who say it is not at all important.
Old 09-15-2004, 03:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

In the past I've shot anything from 7% to 17% with good results. It's all in the tuning.
Old 09-16-2004, 12:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65

I try to keep it in the 10-15% for fixed bladed broadheads. I disagree with people who say it is not at all important.
I agree 100% with that statement

I think people who make that statement is probably in the percentage of people whom the only time their bow sees day light is at the most 2 months out of a year during bow season and probably goes right back in the closet as soon as gun season opens.
Old 09-16-2004, 04:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

In the past I've shot anything from 7% to 17% with good results. It's all in the tuning.
I agree!! I've done the same experimentation with the same results.

I think people who make that statement is probably in the percentage of people whom the only time their bow sees day light is at the most 2 months out of a year during bow season and probably goes right back in the closet as soon as gun season opens.

You couldn't be more wrong!
Old 09-16-2004, 07:05 PM

Well I will disagree with that statement. My bow see's the light of day pretty much every day of the year, with different arrows, and set ups. I have shot broad heads as low as 6% foc and didn't have any problems. I have had some problems with too much foc though. I tend to prefer a lower foc if I can get away with it, like around 9% or so.

I would say out of all the factors, it's the one I worry least about. I shoot really short arrows though, maybe that makes a difference somehow.

Paul
Old 09-17-2004, 05:29 AM

I think that high F.O.C. becomes important when something is not exactly as it should be. Out of a perfectly tuned bow, I've witnessed guys hitting their mark, without a tip on the arrow! How confident are you that your set-up is tuned perfectly? Is the spine perfect? Is there a chance that your arrow may hit a small twig while hunting? Do you ever hunt when it's windy?

If you're using a fixed blade broadhead, all these factors become even more important. In my opinion, it's not very important if none of the above applies to you. However, if it does, I would advise you to shoot a reasonably high F.O.C.. It will become an insurance factor, for conditons that may not be perfect. A heavy tip will tend to keep the arrow flying towards it's target when hitting a small twig, or shooting in high winds (especially with those fixed blade broadheads).

Keep in mind, that if you add a heavier tip or go to a lighter shaft, your spine will weaken. This is also an important factor to good arrow flight.
Old 09-17-2004, 06:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm with StraightArrow..

And the more critical your setup, the greater the importance of FOC is.

If you're shooting a very moderate speed bow, it's not as critical as many other factors as long as FOC is not horribly low or high.

However at high speeds, FOC becomes more critical with broadheads. Filed points and mechs, not so much.

Heavy FOC helps in hunting situations (wind, not able to have proper form) as the heavier weight up front tends to keep the arrow "on line"...it's like going over those roads that are torn up for new blacktop and have all the ridges and ruts in 'em...if you slow down and start applying brakes (which is what is happening basically with your arrow...the fletching being the brakes), you start getting that side to side motion of the vehicle..but if you accellerate through it, you end up having less deviation and going in a straight(er) path..the heavier point helps like accelleration to keep things going in the intended direction.

As a side note...Dave Cousins' definition of FOC is the funniest I've heard : FOR the OVERLY CONCERNED. But then again, Dave mentioned in a hunting setup he does take a bit more care in getting a decent FOC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.