Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

F.O.C.

Old 09-17-2004, 08:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: F.O.C.

I shoot my bow allmost every day of the year , and have been for many years . The reson for my first reply is I belive there are many far more critical things that sould be addressed concerning tuning before one considers foc . Some here have stated between 7 and 14 is fine , and I agree . The guys who say its got to be within a certian range 10 to 13 for the best results , I disagree with . Spine match , and consistancy have to be at least 10 times as important as foc , and its a pain to find arrows that are consistant in that regaurd . Another theory , that going heavy will help with broadhead flight I allso disagree with , If anything it will make your arrow flight look like a rainbow and your pin gap will definatly increase . Not a bad thing but its an issue . My take on foc , try not to go too heavy , and dont worry about it , worry about spine , and makeing your arrows as close to identical as possable . The guys just starting in this sport dont need something else to worry about , especialy when it wont make a big or even a small effect on their accuracy . Lots of new guys in here , they dont need the wrong messages , or concerns .
Old 09-17-2004, 01:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Based on my personal experience, preference in fixed broadheads, preference in arrows (aluminum), distance I want to remain accurate (up to 50 yards), and wind speed that I feel conforatable in shoting (up to about 25 mph), I have found a noticable difference with a higher FOC at around 15% to be more accurate then a lower FOC (under 9%).
Old 09-18-2004, 06:30 AM

The guys just starting in this sport dont need something else to worry about , especialy when it wont make a big or even a small effect on their accuracy . Lots of new guys in here , they dont need the wrong messages , or concerns .
I think we're all aware of that. It's just that we often have a difference of opinion. It doesn't mean that we're trying to mislead someone. It means we disagree.
Old 09-18-2004, 09:36 AM

I am taking into consideration all replys that have been left the are all giving great point of views. I am an avid archer and I started shooting at the age of twelve and now I'm 32 years old have done alot of tournemants but only hunted archery for past three years and needed an idea of were to start on F.O.C. for my hunting arrows. But all info given is realy helpful thanks alot.
Old 09-18-2004, 11:56 PM

What is a good setup for front of center for hunting arrows? Any help or replys will be appriciated.
In general an arrow will be more erratic with to low FOC, & trajectory can suffer with too much.

When you are shooting ±50 or 60 yds & change head weight, with rings etc.; just notice the different in groups, and elevation of groups.

When you do get changes you would then need to verify what caused it, the FOC or a weak or stiff arrow depending on the weight added on or taken off.
Old 09-19-2004, 12:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

I wonder if the Indians ever worried about FOC, tip weight, over spined or under spined arrows.

But they sure did kill a lot of game with their gear.

I wont take a shot on a live animal much past 25 yards so personally I dont think FOC is all that important.

As long as my arrows spin true with broad heads and are withing 5 gr's of each other I ain't gonna worry about it.
Old 09-19-2004, 12:01 PM

ORIGINAL: Ausie-guy
I wonder if the Indians ever worried about FOC, tip weight, over spined or under spined arrows.
Is true, to delve into the FOC can be mind-numbing, so if one does not, in actual fact need to reach out and touch some-one or something: in most cases it is not worth the trouble to conduct experiments, for the primitive or the contemporary hunter.
Old 09-20-2004, 06:12 AM

I'll bet they indeed did worry about this stuff. They just didn't have modern equipment to measure it. I'll bet shaft material was the same, diameter was consistant, broadhead size was a close to the same as they could get. I'll bet one shaft didn't have 12" fletching on it, while the next had 2". I'll bet they had a very good understanding about what was important for good arrow flight. They undoubtably didn't call it F.O.C., but you can be sure that the front of the arrow was heavier than the rear, and that they knew a particular size broadhead worked best.

But they sure did kill a lot of game with their gear.
I'm sure they did, however I've heard that they averaged 3-5 yards on their shots. They worried more about getting close than anything else. I also wonder how many they missed. One thing for certain, the mythology presented on television is not accurate. They weren't accurately shooting animals from 100 yards.

They also weren't limited by the ethics of today's hunters. Wounding animals was part of hunting. Chasing them off cliffs, into pits, traps, snares, burning them out, whatever it took. I'll bet that many a buffalo was shot at very close range, with many arrows before the animal went down, and I'll bet that many wounded animals walked away.

We worry about more things today, because society demands it. We pay attention to F.O.C., spine, consistancy, etc, because we can. Heck, there are guys out there worrying about what brand of bow they shoot, when it means far less than these arrow parameters.
Old 09-20-2004, 06:30 AM
Fork Horn

Try this link, you can get your FOC & weight of arrows calcualted just by pluggin in the numbers. It also ahs a link that describes real FOC.

http://home.att.net/~sajackson/archery.html
Old 09-20-2004, 06:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Point well taken straightarrow , I might have gotten alittel "preachy" there . But man it reminds me of when I first got started and some of the advise I got . The one that comes to mind is " fletch contact wont make a diferance in your accuracy" . I was shooting vanes at the time .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.