Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Need help with PSE Caroll Intruder

Old 09-09-2004, 12:39 PM

Default Need help with PSE Caroll Intruder

I received this bow from my father last year. I'm in the process of setting it up and need some advise. This bow has an overdraw which I want to take off. The bow shoots great with it, but with the carbon arrows that are out there, is it needed?
Old 09-10-2004, 07:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Need help with PSE Caroll Intruder

How old is the bow?

I suspect at least 8 years or so..I think 96 was the last year PSE made "Carrol" brand bows...

I would get rid of the overdraw, and go with one of the slightly heavier carbons (get something appropriately spined around 6 grains per pound of peak weight) since it is an older bow. Don't pound it with super light carbons.
Old 09-11-2004, 10:36 PM

Yes its about eight years old, but my dad only used it for one hunting season before he tore his shoulder up and couldnt pull the thing back. Thats one reason I decided to use it. When you say use a heavier carbon arrow what would you recomend? curently I use XX75 2114 and I have taken the overdraw off. I had a vibration that I couldnt get to go away. Now its as quitet as can be.
Old 09-12-2004, 05:30 AM
Typical Buck

The Carroll Intruder was a good bow, much like the old PSE FireFlights, of which there are still countless amounts of around that take deer each year. I see alot of them that come in for tune-ups.

Seeing as it is a rounder-radius cam and offers decent ATA and brace compared to many of todays' bows, (depending upon the configuration of poundage and drawlength of course) I see nothing much wrong with shooting a 2114 if it spines-out and groups well, and you are happy with it and feel the bow is quieter with it over shooting a carbon. I would recommend a set of limbsavers and maybe even some other vibration-dampener doo-dads as the riser is cast and has a greater chance of failure due to vibration over say a machined solid billet.

Other than that, there should be nothing to keep you from enjoying the bow as they shot quiet well in their day. Good shooting, Pinwheel 12
Old 09-13-2004, 12:54 PM

Thanks for the possitive coments. I switched to a 2213 arrow and found that holding a tight group much easier. Seems the heavier arrow just works better with the current setup.

When you say failure, what should I keep a look out for?
Old 09-18-2004, 03:25 AM
Fork Horn

IND-BOWHUNTER - I used to own an intruder and it was one of the best bows I owned. If I remember correctly I had to shoot a 2512 full length arrow through to get it to spine out. If you are going to use alluminum I would spine it out on one of eastons charts.

I also had alot of vibrations with an over draw and took it off when I switched to carbon arrows.

I think you will like this bow and it will shoot great for you.
Old 09-18-2004, 05:07 AM
Typical Buck

IND-BOWHUNTER-

"Failure" means a cracked riser--Watch for a sudden increase in vibration from the bow, especially in the grip, or if you find your sight and other accessories rattling/loosening alot. This can mean that you are developing a fracture in the riser, usually due to a void/imperfection in the cast. I've seen a few of the older magnesium PSE's crack at the sight mounting holes, and we had one go at the rest one time also. They are all isolated incidents, and if you keep your eyes open and are aware you shouldn't have any trouble. Basically they were quite bulletproof as a general rule. 2213's are just slightly stiffer spine than a 2114 but weigh virtually the same. I can see where you might see tighter groups if your setup needed a slightly stiffer spine----however you would get the same result from backing off a couple of pounds and re-tuned the 2114's to be honest. Always tune the bow to the arrow, not the arrow to the bow. Good shooting, Pinwheel 12