Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Rest tearing off fletchings

Old 09-08-2004, 12:25 PM

Default Rest tearing off fletchings

My father recently came to me with a problem with his bow that noone up near his home has been able to fix. He has been to several proshops and no success in resolving the problem. He uses a 3D Rover arrow rest and after several shots at a target he notices that he is getting a great deal of rubbing on his down off fletching. Obviously there is a miss somewhere but he has been told that bow is set up properly, everything is centered and straight and the arrow are fletched correctly and straight. I have not looked at it but do any of you have any idea where the problem might lie? I have run out of ideas.
Old 09-08-2004, 12:28 PM

Default RE: Rest tearing off fletchings

Simple issue of not getting clearance. Is he shooting a hellical? Alums with a glued on nock? Ways to fix it will depend on those answers.
Old 09-08-2004, 12:33 PM

He is shooting straight fletch and he has alum with glued knocks. I have thought that maybe the knock is turning but that wouldn't be the case. I am not sure what else could be making that clearance problem if according to the pro shop guys it is set up right. After a couple dozen shots the fletching is getting that tear in it.
Old 09-08-2004, 02:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Are there any visible marks on the rest itself where the fletching might be hitting?
Old 09-08-2004, 02:37 PM

He did not say anything about any marks on the rest. He showed me the arrow and it has torn up the fletching pretty good. Something is making that arrow hit the rest. Could shooter technique cause the arrow flight to alter and cause the fletching to hit??
Old 09-08-2004, 04:25 PM

Something is causing the nock end of the shaft to violently contact the rest. I shoot recurves with feather mounted shafts. Depending on what type rest I am using, the feathers always contact the rest, or the shelf, or the window and never wear like you describe, and in the short time you indicated.

I have GKF prong type rests on my compounds and never have the issue your father is having.

What type of groups is he getting and where do the shafts impact in relation to where he aims?

One of several causes is that the nock set on your father's bow string may be too low. A too low nock will force the nock end of the arrow down and the feathers will smack the rest and maybe the shelf too, and clearance becomes a compounded problem, Your father should most likey see the shaft "porpoising" in flight if the nock end is being forced down and is making hard contact.

Additionally, if the tension on the rest is too soft, the same result can occur.