Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Standing on a slope

Old 09-07-2004, 05:22 PM

Default Standing on a slope

My backyard range requires that for 40 yard practice I stand on a slope (towards the target) of about 20 degrees, ie my back foot is about 4 to 5 inches above my front. This seems to affect my form to the point that I develop some back pain after about 10 shots. The discomfort seems to locate in my lower back on my draw (left) side. Also my accuracy suffers as well. At 20 yards my groups are inside 4 inches, at 30 they increase to about 5 inches, but at 40 suddenly the circle goes to 12 inches. Any advice?
Old 09-07-2004, 08:59 PM

Default RE: Standing on a slope

This may seem oversimplified but do you draw when bent over at the waist or do you draw while standing upright and then bend at the waist towrads your target?

I would suggest drawing and then bending forward and downhill to acquire your target, all the while keeping your arm, shoulders, and drawing arm at right angles with your back. In other words, get your form correct and then bend slight forward to sight at the target.

Hope this sheds some light on the subject.
Old 09-07-2004, 10:56 PM

I think I am trying to stand upright. This causes my spine to be out of line with my lower body. This may be where the lower back pain is coming from.
Old 09-08-2004, 12:06 PM

My backyard range requires that for 40 yard practice I stand on a slope (towards the target) of about 20 degrees, ie my back foot is about 4 to 5 inches above my front. This seems to affect my form to the point that I develop some back pain after about 10 shots. The discomfort seems to locate in my lower back on my draw (left) side. Also my accuracy suffers as well. At 20 yards my groups are inside 4 inches, at 30 they increase to about 5 inches, but at 40 suddenly the circle goes to 12 inches. Any advice?
We live in the mountains and there is not many level spots: but you can take a pick or jack-hammer and make one in a little bit.

You know they won’t sell Tnt to the commoner any more.

Shooting down a 20 degree slope you will need to sdjust, for shooting high on target.