Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Broadhead Groups

Old 02-28-2002, 11:05 AM

Default Broadhead Groups

I changed my shaft this season to a stiffer shaft. I am tying todecide between the 90g and 115 grn Muzzys. Out of curiosity, I would like to know what group size you are experiencing with fixed blade broadheads. Mine are tighter with the 90's by an inch or so. A typical group with three arrows is about the size of a baseball at 30 yds. The 115's open upto the size of a softball. I want to see what others are averaging.
Old 02-28-2002, 11:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Broadhead Groups

What size shafts are you using, and how long are they?

Last year, I was using carbons, and my bow got the best tune possible with 75 grain Muzzy's (I also tried 100 grain Muzzy's). It would be hard to tell what my grouping was since, I shoot at 20 yards and had could only shoot one arrow at one taget at a time. Ruined too many arrow in the past by shooting fixed broadheads at the same target. If I had to guess I would say I could consistantly group them at about 2 inches at 20 yards.

Old 02-28-2002, 01:27 PM

I'm using ACC 3-49's at 29" and 63lbs.
Old 02-28-2002, 01:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm finding that a little interesting, since that is about what was happening to me using the lighter broadheads. Your FOC is about 7.5% with the 90 grain and about 9.8% with the 115 grain arrow. It didn't seem right to me either at the time, but I trusted the tuning on the bow and went witht he 75 grain Muzzy, since I paper shot and practived well with them. Killed two deer this past season with it (one at 35 yards).
Old 02-28-2002, 03:58 PM
Typical Buck

Many times it seems the lighter weight head out front flies better than the heavier because a stiffer spined shaft recovers quicker than a weaker shaft, with less arrow flex.

It seems the more movement an arrow has or flex, the more erratic the flight with fixed blade heads because the broadhead is trying to steer the arrow in a more radical angle of direction.

In general, a shaft too stiff will usually group better than a shaft too weak, without broadheads, let alone with them.

Just a thought.

Jeff...U.P. of Michigan.
Old 02-28-2002, 04:01 PM

How did you figure the FOC without the shaft? I tried the FOC at home using the shaft and the balance point then the calculations. Same thing here. Paper was perfect, groups weren't. I have killed 14 Mule Deer all bucks Bull Elk, Pigs, small critters etc. Actually, these were all killed with 27" xx-75 and slow bows. I only have 4 more big game animals before I am a Master Bowhunter. The problems all came about when I listened to my buddies and switched to Carbons. I do believe that Carbons have their place and do penetrate well. I am going to go home and measure the FOC the way I did before to see if I come up with the same figure. I appreciate your help!
Old 02-28-2002, 04:17 PM
Typical Buck

Airborne,
What's a Master Bowhunter? Is that a CA thing?

Jeff...U.P. of Michigan.
Old 02-28-2002, 05:05 PM

I get really nice groups with the muzzy 75 3-blade. I use them with 29" ACC's, even though the FOC isn't that good they still group better.......go figure!
Old 02-28-2002, 07:19 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
Airborne,
What's a Master Bowhunter? Is that a CA thing?

Jeff...U.P. of Michigan.
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>I believe that it is. It's called the CBH. California Bowmen Hunters. You must have animals that make the minimum score for the state record books.