Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Arrow length / spine selection question.

Old 09-03-2004, 12:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Arrow length / spine selection question.

When I measure my arrows using Beman's recommended method (from nock groove to end of shaft) I measure 29 1/3". Now my question is that when using an arrow selector chart, do I round up or down to get the best shaft? The reason I ask is because if I enter 29" into he selector it suggests a 340 (what I'm shooting now) shaft however if I enter 30" it suggests a 300 shaft. I can't help but to wonder if I'm slightly underspined with my arrows.
Old 09-03-2004, 03:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Arrow length / spine selection question.

When borderline it's usually best to overspine Jeramy, as I'm sure you've seen posted here a million times.

What are your specs for your bow, and whats on the string? rest type, etc.

And how is fixed blade broadhead flight (if you use them)?
Old 09-03-2004, 05:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jeff,

I'm shooting an 03' Patriot set at 30" draw and 70#. On my string I have 2 brass nocks (one above the regular nock to prevent the nock from sliding) an eliminator button below the arrows nock and I shoot off the string with a release. Also have 2 Sims string leeches in place of the factory installed string silencers. I shoot off of an GFK Infinity rest.

I shoot Muzzy 100gr 4blade broadheads. They are flying well under 20 yards but are slightly hitting to the right between 20-40.
Old 09-03-2004, 06:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Go up on your spine ratio
Old 09-04-2004, 02:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks BPS.

Now that I think about it I remember last year when I bought the arrows. I was shooting my old 80lb PSE @ 30" draw and those Beman ICS Hunters are what they sold me. (At the time the only thing I knew is that I wanted carbon. LOL) From that same shop I later bought a Hoyt Cybertec set at 70lbs @ 30" draw and they told me to keep using the same arrows. Same thing was said when I switched to my Patriot. "Those arrows are fine"

I looked up my log from last season and found some notes about broadheads hitting to the right but I just sighted in for the broadheads and left my setup that way until this spring.

I dug out the Gold Tip 5575's that I bought about a month ago to test. They flew just like the Bemans with field tips so I just set them aside. But today I tried the muzzy's and found they are flying noticably better.
Old 09-06-2004, 06:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: JeramyK
I dug out the Gold Tip 5575's that I bought about a month ago to test. They flew just like the Bemans with field tips so I just set them aside. But today I tried the muzzy's and found they are flying noticably better.
Did you mean 75/95s? Cos 55/75s are quite a bit underspined compared to the Beman 340s. The GoldTip 75/95s are roughly the same spine as the Beman 340s.

Regardless, at your specs, I'd personally bump up to a 300 class shaft...ICSH 300s, A/C/C 3-71's, etc. You are very borderline currently.
Old 09-06-2004, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: JeffB

ORIGINAL: JeramyK
Did you mean 75/95s? Cos 55/75s are quite a bit underspined compared to the Beman 340s. The GoldTip 75/95s are roughly the same spine as the Beman 340s.

Regardless, at your specs, I'd personally bump up to a 300 class shaft...ICSH 300s, A/C/C 3-71's, etc. You are very borderline currently.
Nope, they are 55/75 400's. [:'(]

I was considering trying the A/C/C shafts. Maybe I'll pick some up this weekend. Thanks for all you help Jeff.