Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

How much "Technical" Experience do you have??

Old 09-01-2004, 08:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How much "Technical" Experience do you have??

I know the name of the knot, but I'm not sure as how I see knowing the names of knots is any less "anal" than those who worry about a few FPS

Then again ...one of my biggest pet peeves is people who do not know (or just do not use) the terms "timing" and "synchronization"properly...even bow manufacturers don't use the proper terms...the only ones I've seen in advertisements who do know (or care to use the proper terminology) is Mathews, and Darton. Hoyt ads and articles in magazines last year kept throwing around timing when they clearly should be using the word "synchronization"

I often find myself talking to someone at the shop, having to use the word "timing" so they understand what I'm talking about is cam"synch". If I say "synch" they just get this dumb look on thier faces
Old 09-01-2004, 08:32 AM

I never knew there was a tech side to bow hunting until early last fall. I'd always trusted the "pro"shop to set me up and away I went. Last fall I started doing all my own bow work that dosen't require a press. I've learning lots from reading and trial and error on my bow.

I think Rangeball said it best
I've never worked in a shop, really only paid attention to bow tech stuff since finding this place in my desire to become self-proficient due to the utter lack of qualified "pros" in my area...
Or at least a good pro who isn't trying to hijack my wallet.
Old 09-01-2004, 08:47 AM

Technically Jeff they are the same thing. When you are tuning a dual cam you are still "timing the cam, your just doing it twice and making them do it at the same time. Which would be synchronizing them. It's still timing though. So you could go either way on that one and be correct. And on the CPS system you would actually be timing two different cams, since they are timed to different locations and do different things. However if you said you were going to synch a single cam you would be using the incorrect terminology since there is nothing to synch the cam with. You would probably hear someone older and used to dual cams say this.

Single cams are so popular now that most don't know what synching cams means any more because they rarely see it or hear about it.

You could also call it tuning the cam if you wanted I guess. Or would that imply that you were changing the harmonics of the cam?

Paul
Old 09-01-2004, 09:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Paul,

A two cam bow can be out if it's optimum position (timing) and still be in synch with the other however. So it's not exactly the same thing, just that both aspects *can* be taken care of using the same "tuning" process (or not, as the case may be).

BTW..good report on the MM...I'm going to comment there in a few minutes..
Old 09-01-2004, 09:19 AM

My lack of confidence with most "pro-shop" worker's is what lead me to learn as much as I could on my on ! I have shot seriously for probably 9 years ..........owned and shot a lot of Mathews bows (yeh...I'm one of the sheep).......and know a good bit about them ! I try to only answer questions I am sure of and have direct experience with ........try to let folks know when I'm only guessing !! Shot some 3-d and indoor !!Did all my bow work this year ! Recieved the majority of my help from this site !!

Kevin correct me if I'm wrong............but if I am remembering correctly.............it sure seems like you make a lot of posts about unqualified people making tech posts ! It also seems like I have seen you (maybe not.........but I know I've seen other shop owners) make posts stating that by giving TOO much tech. info on the internet...........your "shooting yourself in the foot " as a shop owner !

To me.........for people without access to a good shop..........there is a void .......where they need to come somewhere like here to get answers ! If only qualified people should answer............but limit those answers because of a business conflict..................??????? What are they supposed to do ???

Good luck !! I'll check back on this when I get back from my hunt next week !!
Old 09-01-2004, 09:21 AM

pin:

I suppose if a person that has a question has highly technical knowledge and is a certified "technician" or a mechanical engineer, or a physicist in another applicable field, he or she would most likely ask a question in a fashion that "Bubba and his Bow Buddies" or the average but skilled archer probably would not understand and therefore would not attempt to answer or provide a solution.

If the subject, a question, a presented opinion, etc, is general and not highly technical, and the phraseology does not indicate the person is highly technical and would understand such information as "Static and Dynamic testing from those such as Norb and Emery," I would assume the person is inviting everyone to contribute their opinion or advice, or what someone may believe the problem and the solution is. If you or anyone else that considers themselves to have greater technical knowledge than "Bubba and his Bow Buddies" and know the answer given is incorrect, then you and/or they can jump in and contribute what you/they know or believe is the correct answer.

You say with obvious confidence that the belief that solo cams are faster than twin cams if of the same configuration, and the belief by some that drop-away rests are more accurate than any other rest are untrue. Is your technical notice that both beliefs are untrue an accepted and indisputable fact that all in the industry and all archers concur with, or are both beliefs still open to debate by different manufacturers, archers, engineers, etc? I do not know.

However, if your notice is an indisputable fact, then the verdict is in. If a person wants the most speed possible out of a bow, he or she should not purchase a solo cam bow. If the person wants a rest that enables the best accuracy, he or she should not purchase a drop-away rest. Jeez! Do you realize how many "Bubba" shooters there are in the sport?
Old 09-01-2004, 10:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: c903

pin:

I suppose if a person that has a question has highly technical knowledge and is a certified "technician" or a mechanical engineer, or a physicist in another applicable field, he or she would most likely ask a question in a fashion that "Bubba and his Bow Buddies" or the average but skilled archer probably would not understand and therefore would not attempt to answer or provide a solution.

If the subject, a question, a presented opinion, etc, is general and not highly technical, and the phraseology does not indicate the person is highly technical and would understand such information as "Static and Dynamic testing from those such as Norb and Emery," I would assume the person is inviting everyone to contribute their opinion or advice, or what someone may believe the problem and the solution is. If you or anyone else that considers themselves to have greater technical knowledge than "Bubba and his Bow Buddies" and know the answer given is incorrect, then you and/or they can jump in and contribute what you/they know or believe is the correct answer.

You say with obvious confidence that the belief that solo cams are faster than twin cams if of the same configuration, and the belief by some that drop-away rests are more accurate than any other rest are untrue. Is your technical notice that both beliefs are untrue an accepted and indisputable fact that all in the industry and all archers concur with, or are both beliefs still open to debate by different manufacturers, archers, engineers, etc? I do not know.

However, if your notice is an indisputable fact, then the verdict is in. If a person wants the most speed possible out of a bow, he or she should not purchase a solo cam bow. If the person wants a rest that enables the best accuracy, he or she should not purchase a drop-away rest. Jeez! Do you realize how many "Bubba" shooters there are in the sport?
There's never a mountain out of a mole hill smilie handy when you really really need one.

How many times does he have to say "Dude, that's NOT what I meant"?

Give it up, already...
Old 09-01-2004, 10:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

How many times does he have to say "Dude, that's NOT what I meant"?
I gotta agree. I've been cyber-jawing with Kevin ever since the days when Bowsite was the only game on the internet. I've always known him to be a standup guy and so I have no problem taking him at his word. If he says he meant no offense, I reckon he means it.
Old 09-01-2004, 10:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have enough tech knowledge to sight my bow in, play with the rest if needed, and most importantly, to leave things alone that I should not be touching.
Old 09-01-2004, 10:56 AM

Point taken Jeff, didn't really think about that one. The more I think about it you could actually synch a cps system as well. I wasn't really arguing with you, just giving you crap is all.

Paul

Quick Reply: How much "Technical" Experience do you have??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.