Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

How much "Technical" Experience do you have??

Old 08-31-2004, 08:16 PM

Default RE: How much "Technical" Experience do you have??

Hey now! I don't know the name of the knot I tie my freakin shoes with every day, doesn't mean I don't know how to walk does it? I always just called it a string loop knot? Actaully I thought it was a half hitch or something like that. I didn't take boy scouts or girl scouts for that matter. And I was in the Air Force not the Navy.

If you went by that critiria to have someone work on your bow I'm betting that at least 95 percent of the pro shops would fail. Heck, I'm happy if some of them know what a string loop is!

Paul
Old 08-31-2004, 08:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Paul, would you not be more comfortable with somebody that would at least take the time to learn something as basic as the name of the knot they were tying than somebody that would call it something PFA (pulled from the air)? Hey, it's your money man! BTW, your shoestring knot, is oddly enough, called a BOW knot.
Old 08-31-2004, 09:20 PM

Wouldn't bother me a bit as long as it didn't bust me in the face at full draw. You just gave three names for the same knot, who says it can't have more? Not everyone was a sailor and knows the name of every knot. To some they are all Knots, you just tie them different.

As a matter of fact I have seen the name for that knot in some instructions that told how to tie it, and it was called something different than any of the names you gave. Who is right? I don't know , nor do I care as long as it's done right.

Now if I went in a shop and they called a rest an "arrow holder upper thingy" I might get a little scared. Unless I was in West virginia or something

Paul
Old 09-01-2004, 12:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I took it the same way C903 did.
And have to wonder if I'm the guy that you’re referring to.

I'm sorry if I've given "bad" advice in the past and if you ever see me doing it please jump in and correct me. I would be overjoyed to be corrected by someone with the credentials such as yours as I want to do things the correct way.

I usually only respond when it's something I've dealt with or when I see an easy question that others are skipping due to the redundancy of the topic.
If I can help someone out and he's not getting any replies then that's what I do.

I thought that's what these boards were for, helping others out.

If it were set up as to where only true tech's were going to answer questions then I will gladly step aside and learn from the sidelines.
Old 09-01-2004, 04:58 AM
Typical Buck

Guys-

The intent of the post was to simply find out who has what for actual hands-on Archery experience. I'm not pointing fingers to anyone in particular either, the question was generalized so don't read to much into it please.

Pertinent Technical questions do arise here on a daily basis. Sometimes things have more than one correct answer, and then we see debates on which is better/works better. This is totally subjective material and how the messageboard system was designed to run. Many times we get varying opinions on which bow, which sight, which rest, etc. as those preferences are individual.

There are also many times when the "Technical" questions are just that however and very specific, and many times on this board and others I have seen incorrect info given simply due to product loyalty/ subjective opinion as in the above scenario. (for example-- solocams are faster than twin cams if of the same configuration---untrue. Drop-aways are more accurate than any other rest---untrue. Etc, etc) Here is where I see flaws in the system and incorrect info being thrown around--- true technical experience from within the industry as well as utilizing/quoting reports of verified Static and Dynamic testing from those such as Norb and Emery have their place here and should be used IMHO. Physics and engineering is a constant that can also always be used as a reference guide when it comes to technical attributes of most bows. This serves to put things in correct order and beats the snot out of "Bubba and his Bow Buddies' Tech report" where a few individuals may get together and close their eyes and fire bows to see which is louder, faster or quieter, even tho those bows could be far different from each other in terms of ATA, brace height, drawlength, and dampening accesssories used. True technical data with apples to apples comparasons does not lie and does not give "opinions"-- nor is it biased. This tells the truth every time.

So after all of this long-winded post, I go right back to square one--- the intent was that I was just curious to see who has what for Archery experience, that's all. And as stated, this is not meant to keep anyone at all away from posting, tho possibly a friendly reminder to all to be as sure as you can be that the answers you give those asking for help are the correct answers--- or at least tell them it is "JMHO" so they don't take it for gospel. Good shooting, Pinwheel 12
Old 09-01-2004, 05:08 AM

Well I've been involved in archery for about 15 years with about 10 of those Hunting. But only the past 9 years of really diving into and learning how my bows work and how to maintain them myself (those first 6 years I was just a dumb kid who just liked to go out and shoot at haybales). I rely alot on all of the information here, I know that some of the replys are just opinions, but even opinions can lead to some very good information. I hold no titles, nor am I on anyones shooting staff. I have learned alot from this forum over the years and appreciate everyones information and ideas. I am currently trying to break in to the archery industry with my own ArrowWrap business, which many of you already know. I don't claim to know everything, but just like others said, I limit myself to replying to posts I know something about. As for the rest of the post, I just sit back and learn from the experts. Thanks to all who have shared their expertise in the past, I think that is what makes this board so much better than some of the others out there.
Old 09-01-2004, 06:36 AM

I was in the Navy and I don't know what the knot is called either.....
Old 09-01-2004, 06:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Glen In Marland

Do you mean that even after reading my post you still don't know the name? Just goes to confirm what I've suspected for years, you can't teach a Squid anything. Just kidding, my oldest son is currently serving in the Navy and as a Machinists Mate he probably doesn't know much about knots either.
The thing is, when I was searching for the information on several archery (so called technical) websites, the knot was referred to as two half hitches, as a retired Boatswains Mate, I do know what two half hitches are and how to tie them. I guarantee you that the knot used is not two half hitches.
Old 09-01-2004, 07:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

BTW, the proper name of the knot is a Larks Head, also known as a Latigo Hitch or even the Girl Scout Knot.
I learn something new everyday. I've never heard the knot referred to using any of those names.
Old 09-01-2004, 08:01 AM

ORIGINAL: Glen In Marland

But I do know how to tie it after 1/2 hr of practice

Quick Reply: How much "Technical" Experience do you have??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.