Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

How much "Technical" Experience do you have??

Old 08-31-2004, 02:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How much "Technical" Experience do you have??

Been shooting a bow ever since I was a little squirt. 50 years come next April, in fact. Never took any special classes. Got no certificates. I did a small archery business out of the back of my van for awhile, to help cover my entry fees at the shoots I went to, until that got to be a bigger pain than it was worth. Was an amateur staff shooter for Hoyt.

I've always been a bowhunter and, as such, put a very high degree of emphasis on accuracy, simplicity and dependability. On the other hand, I've shot competition in just about every format, every class and every style. I know how bows work and, due to my competition background, have learned many little tricks over the years to help improve their accuracy. I've seen a lot of the different problems that can crop up and know how to fix them.

I'm a machinist by trade, so I've made sights, rests, stabilizers and such, to my own design. I'm also an amateur bowyer, making primitive and traditional bows. And I've been known to tear several compounds apart, take what I think are the best parts of each and stick them all together on one bow. But, I've kinda laid off making frankenbows over the past 10 years or so. Todays bows have gotten too highly stressed and over-engineered, to the point my health and personal safety were being jeopardized.[:-]

Plus, I'm a student of archery. I read everything I can get my hands on, from history to manuals to tech sheets.

Maybe I don't know it all, but I know a lot of it.
Old 08-31-2004, 03:02 PM
Typical Buck

c903-

As stated, I am genuinely curious as to who has what for true technical Archery credentials here--no need to try to insinuate anything else--if you feel guilty about something, let it all out my friend![8D]

All kidding aside, it's interesting getting honest responses to this question from those at all different levels of experience. That's it, no alterior motive, sorry!

Thanks to everyone for their responses, much appreciated! Pinwheel 12
Old 08-31-2004, 03:35 PM

....but I'd like to know everyone's' qualifications if you would seeing as this is a true "technical" forum.
This is a forum in which Huntingnet.com wants the discussions to be about the "technical" aspects; not that the discussion and the content contained within must be wholey and truley technical in the sense that you indicate.

And, what is this; a Freudian slip?

or simply how many years have you just dabbled on your own.
Regardless of his or her background and level of expertise, I personally prefer that all readers jump in and give their 2-cents worth. It is not rare that a layperson will open the shade and enable you to see out the window .
Old 08-31-2004, 03:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

How much "Technical" stuff do I know?
I know when & how to wax my string & how to move my sights.
That pretty much sums it up for me.[]
Old 08-31-2004, 04:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Wolf killer

How much "Technical" stuff do I know?
I know when & how to wax my string & how to move my sights.
That pretty much sums it up for me.[]
LOL!!! That describes me too! My Tru-Glo 3 pin sights were, at first, set exactly at 10,20,30. One I got better and better, I just shifted the whole entire sight box down about 1/4". So, what was 10 is now 20, etc... I nudged it a little up, a little down, until my first pin was exactly 20 yards, middle pin was exactly at 30, etc... That's the ONLY tweaking I have ever done to my old PSE bow! Everything else, the bow shop has done for me. [:-]

Butch A.
Old 08-31-2004, 04:58 PM

I want to add as well that some of the informantion I give may not be first hand knowledge by me. It will be that of someone with much more epxerience than I have, and I just relay it to others here. When I have the time I don't mind explaining something in detail or helping someone on a daily basis until the problem is solved. As a opposed to a one paragraph, or even a couple sentence answer. Often time some of the information I will give will be right off another web site. It may even be off from this one! I don't mind researching things and looking them up. That's what search engines are for after all. Although after doing this for a while the information soaks in and you just remember it so you don't have to look it up all the time.

I don't claim to know it all, but if I think I have a clue I don't mind giving you my opinion on it. The search function on these sites used to be really cool, however this site and eders keep changing thier format or other things and it wipes out the past posts, or only lets you search back for a year or so. I tried to search for some of JeffB's posts on arrows and spine and couldn't find that many at all, imagine that!? There were some very good ones and now they are gone I guess.

Paul
Old 08-31-2004, 05:22 PM
Typical Buck

c-903--

Read into this what you want, but really and as I've stated twice before now, I was just curious as to who was who and who had what for hands-on experience, along with what credentials people had if any. Obviously I rubbed some salt into an old wound of yours somehow--- sorry about that but it wasn't intentional.

"Technical" forums are just that by the way, otherwise they would be called something else. Far too often we see people getting poor or even incorrect info about products from those who haven't the foggiest true clue. This creates havoc and can possibly do irrepairable harm to the unknowing. While I certainly respect everyones' right to post and for their opinions, there are truly many technical questions that are best answered by those who DO know the correct answer and are not just "guessing". Some here have stated just this themselves right here on this thread and my respect for them for holding back and not jumping in with questionable info just stepped up a notch to be honest.

We are all here to learn and share pertinent and correct info, and you are right in that it doesn't matter who has the answer as long as they know it to be correct. Good shooting, Pinwheel 12
Old 08-31-2004, 06:18 PM
Super Moderator

I've been shooting a bow since 1976 and bowhunting since 1977. I work on my own bow as far as tuning, full blown off season cleaning, etc. But I know my limitations. I don't serve my strings or build bowstrings, and have two accomplished pro shops nearby that do a great job building strings and doing emergency serving jobs for me. I am not as techie savvy as I once was in the sense that I do not keep up with the latest and greatest new products as I used too.

I know enough and am experienced enough to help others, but smart enough to tell someone," I don't know" and give suggestions on where to go when I don't.
Old 08-31-2004, 07:23 PM

Pin:

No emotional wounds here. Just astute.

Ok! You believe that Huntingnet intended for this "Technical" forum to be…..uh….well….technical. That all technical questions should be answered, or attempted to be answered, only by certified technicians.. If that is true, than the governing rules and regs need to be accordingly revised by Huntingnet and posted. I will wait with baited breath on that to happen.

If Huntingnet were to adopt your recommendation that "…there are truly many technical questions that are best answered by those who DO know the correct answer and are not just "guessing," I am curious as to what your suggestions would be as to what the prerequisites would be to determine qualification, and who(m) would presently be the candidates that are qualified to fill the positions.

Also, what indicators would be used to determine that a person should not be answering questions, and what type of disciplinary action(s) would be brought to bear should an unqualified and uncertified member post an answer or information.

Just trying to determine if your complaints and recommendations have merit.
Old 08-31-2004, 08:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not a lot but I am learning very fast. I first used a bow in 1964, an Indian Archery solid glass recurve that was noisy as all get out, but shot true. Missed a great Buck with it one evening after school because it apparently heard that old Port Orford Cedar shaft when I released. I got a handful of hair off his chest but have a memory that has lasted ever since.
I have some reservations about many of the so called 'experts' not only here but from many other sources as well. Anybody that cannot or will not take the time to learn the proper name of the knot they use to tie a string loop should not be trusted for other aspects of archery as well.
Another pet peeve is those that will argue, ad nasuem, the merits of a bow that shoots 10, 12 or 15 fps faster than another. The difference in time of the arrow getting from point 'A' to point'B' with that small a difference in speed is miniscule and for all practical purposes may be ignored, yet there are those that will spend hundreds of dollars to attain that result. Oh well, it's their money and if they have nothing better to do with it, that's their problem.
BTW, the proper name of the knot is a Larks Head, also known as a Latigo Hitch or even the Girl Scout Knot.

Quick Reply: How much "Technical" Experience do you have??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.