Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

How much "Technical" Experience do you have??

Old 08-31-2004, 11:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: How much "Technical" Experience do you have??

I would think that you could place me somewhere between JeffB and Rangeball in terms of practical experience. I hold no titles nor certificates but have been enjoying the technical side of archery for about 10 years now. The last 6 of those 10 years I have also been helping out part time down at one of the local shops.
Old 08-31-2004, 12:02 PM
Dominant Buck

I started shooting when I was 15. Im 35. I never worked in a shop, but live in the sticks so anything that gets done to my bows, I have to do. I bought a press many years back and use it all the time. I guess my knowledge is limited to the bows I own. I have learned from experience.
Old 08-31-2004, 12:06 PM

I too am with Rangeball and the others. I have been seriously into archery for 8 years now. I have an engineering background, which means I really like to know how things work, no matter what they are. I tinker all the time and try to dig into what's going on with my equipment. My desire to fix my equipment and be self-sufficient has fueled me digging up any archery related info I can find. That being said, I also know when to defer to the experts, the problem is determining who the experts are.

I am strongly opinionated, but try to limit my opinions to those based on experience. I try not to discuss issues I have no experience with.

I have never worked at a shop, can't afford the paycut. I have never held any staff positions, but then again, I have never applied.

JMAC
Old 08-31-2004, 12:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Pinwheel 12

Gotta say tho, that some shooting staff do work hard for their positions, and it ain't always easy to maintain that position with monthly reports, working at shows and seminars, etc
Oh absolutely! that's why I said "most" Didn't mean to imply otherwise I know some staffers who have worked/work thier a$$es off. But IME, they are the exception, not the rule.

Yep, I agree with you---good techs must continue to learn every day to keep up with the ever-changing technology. But they can also use their current knowledge base and many years of hands-on experience to help guide these newer technologies. We see this every day in the industry itself
No argument there from me. In my experience and travels though I just see many shop owners/shooters, etc who get so locked into one mindset (about whatever topic/subject), that they often do not realize (or want to) that there are alternate solutions/answers/viewpoints that are working very well for other Archers. I've been guilty of it myself. But I've come to realize that nothing in Archery, at least IME, is set in stone..there are far too many variables to take into consideration for so many things. and when we add a human element those possibilities are nearly endless because we all vary so much..that factor alone is often the real root of a problem and/or solution.
Old 08-31-2004, 12:25 PM

i am still wet behind the ears, i come here with questions not answers. But give me a few years and i will have a firm understanding of it all. When i get into something I am very obsessive and tenacious. I cant just enjoy the activity, i have to know all about the inner workings of the things used in that activity.

It is tough for me to have to take my bow to the shop to have it worked on, but i am also smart enough to know when i am in over my head and need professional help.
Old 08-31-2004, 12:27 PM

I've been working on bows since they started breaking,,, about 32 years now Made a few of my own also, now I let the pros do it for me
Old 08-31-2004, 01:40 PM

Pinwheel:

but I'd like to know everyone's' qualifications if you would seeing as this is a true "technical" forum
What is that statement and your complete commentary supposed to imply? I am hoping your message is not meant to be as condescending and as censuring as it sounds.

First, the term "Technical" as used to identify this category of the forums is not as you imply. The "Technical" title is to inform those that are perusing the forum categories for particular information and/or intend to post in this forum, that the subjects and the posts are to be restricted to the "Technical" aspect, not that a person must have scholastic and credentialed technical knowledge to post or to authorize a person to post or to legitimize what information or opinion a person contributes.

Second, many categories fall under the term "Technical." There is the mechanical category regarding bows, there is the bow tuning category, there is the mechanical category regarding certain specific accessories, there is the mechanical category that is universal to all accessories, there is the hands on experience category, there is the shooting category, there is the arrow setup category, there is personal experiences category, etc, etc. Which category are you referring to?

I do hope that you did not mean your comments to be as will be inferred by many. I personally have 40+ years of archery under my belt. Much of the knowledge and skills I have acquired has been from my personal experiences and from helping others learn archery and the necessary technical skills, from troubleshooting for myself and for others, from mistakes, some while in the shade of a tree, from self innovations and modifications.

I don't have an archery "Tech" certificate hanging on my wall; but I do have investigative and research skills that are scholastically acquired, and I do have many certificates, diplomas, commendations, and awards that verify the learning and application of those research skills. In other words, I know how to acquire information, I know how to learn from the information, I know how to analyze the information, and I know how use the information.

Regardless of all the schooled and skills that a person might hold, or claim to hold, within the archery and bowhunting arena, specifically the "technical" side; regardless of credentials, skills, experience, I personally would like to hear from the novice as well as from the self- acclaimed professors.

I hope your dressing down does not intimidate those that are new to the sport and do not have a paper hanging on their wall.
Old 08-31-2004, 01:40 PM

Formal experiance, none. I have never worked in pro shop at all. I only got into archery about four or five years ago. I am however an information junky. I read alot, research things like crazy, and ask all sorts of stupid questions. Along with experiment endlessly with my own equipment. I am very mechanically inclined though. I was a certified mechanic right out of highschool, then was a Fighter Jet mechanic in the Air Force (general air frame, Pneudraulics and jet engines). I have also worked in a Computer shop (pre internet) building custom computers and worked in a few machine shops as well.

Most of the knowledge I have comes from sites like these, other internet sights, asking questions at local shops, and hands on type stuff with my equipment and friends. I have also read a few books, but that wasn't really mechanical type stuff, more form and shooting type stuff.

I'm not really needed here, there are others that know more than I do and for sure have more experiance. I however spend a lot of time on these sites, and if something doesn't get answered right away I will jump in and take a shot at it. If I'm wrong someone will correct me, and I will conceed most of the time.

I would love to have some formal trainnig. Like work for manufacturer on the tech side of things, or go to the easton school. Or just work in a good shop. I don't think I have the patients for a shop though. I don't really care much for people. Retail has never interested me. If I could just work on them, and not have to sell anything it might be ok.

As far people having years of experience, or owning thier own shop. It really doesn't impress me that much. I have learned enough in a few years to tell when somebody is ingnorant or clueless. I have been to a few shops that I would not let touch my bow. And talked to people that have been in the industry for decades that are just not in touch with reality and how much technology has advanced. The still stick by methods that have been proven wrong or where just wives tales to begin with. I can't believe that mathews and bowtech and the like will let people sell there bows that don't know how to work on them, or even understand how they work. You would think they would have some sort of training or something for new dealers. Not so I guess.

I normally don't try to answer questions that I'm not sure about either. If I do I will clearly state that it is just my opinion or a guess and to wait for someone more qualified to chime in. Sometimes it takes a wrong answer to get some of you to respond. And in the end we all learn something.

Paul
Old 08-31-2004, 01:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have never worked in a shop but have been working on bows for the past 13 years. I basically have my own room dedicated to nothing but archery so all work that needs done on my bow is done by me. I have never shot competatively but have often thought about it. I guess I just don't know where to start. Overall, I would say I have pretty good technical experience but don't have the titles, papers, and patches to back it up. But then again, I'm only working on my bow and I am pretty sure I trust myself
Old 08-31-2004, 02:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Graduate of PSE technical school, Graduate of PSE Shooting school. About 15 years as a tech in a pro shop. 3 years as a manager. Been shooting bows for 38 years. Been on the shooting staff of several shops.

Quick Reply: How much "Technical" Experience do you have??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.