Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

I increased weight on my bow and it went crazy

Old 08-30-2004, 08:46 AM
Dominant Buck

Default I increased weight on my bow and it went crazy

I upped one of my bows from 65lb to 70 last night and all my arrows started shooting low. I had to lower all my pins. I have had to raise my pins when increasing weight, but never lower them. What is up with this?
Old 08-30-2004, 08:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: I increased weight on my bow and it went crazy

My two guesses are, either you overamped your arrows' spine range OR you tightened one limb more than the other got your tiller whacked from what it was, and moved your nock point.
Old 08-30-2004, 08:56 AM
Dominant Buck

Arthur P
I checked all that. That is why im a little confused. It shoots great, I bear shafted it and no problem, I just found it odd that the arrows dropped. My tiller is perfect, I always increase weight while watching the tiller so my limbs will be increased the same. Im shooting gold tips that are rated at my length up to 75 lbs.
Old 08-30-2004, 09:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well, if you checked all that then you've got me by the shorthairs too. I don't know what to make of it. But, if it's shooting good, then I think I'd just whistle a little tune, knock on wood and NOT question it.
Old 08-30-2004, 09:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

If the distance was not too great I would suspect that you simply flattened the trajectory and before you were shooting ata distance that had not hit the high point of the arrows arc yet.

However if it was at a longer distance, hard to say..if it's s single cam bow you may have ended up with proper cam timing and it has affected the nock travel and or nocking point height.
Old 08-30-2004, 12:20 PM
Dominant Buck

Im for a loss. This bow is my 80s model hoyt excel. I have two hard cams on it and have keep it at 65lbs till this year. I upped it and all my pins went down. My 20, 30, 40, 50 all have. I havent reset my 60 yet but Id assume it will go down as well. Go figure? Ive gone with your idea Arthur, Im a wistling and a shooten.
Old 08-30-2004, 12:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rule #1 once season starts or draws near , dont change anything , unless you have to . Adding weight is the worst thing to do prior to or durring season . Take it from me , learned it the hard way .
Old 08-30-2004, 03:23 PM
Dominant Buck

Ijimmy
You are soo right. Thats why this bow is not my primary. I use it for a back up. Just wanted to juice it up a little.
Old 08-30-2004, 08:05 PM

What ijimmy said. This close to the season don't change anything.

My bow's all screwed up. I carefully added draw weight to my setup and it still shot great. My broadheads were grouping exactly with my field points. Punching holes thru paper. Then I got my bow wet (soaked is more like it), and everything went haywire. Arrows were paper tuning with a 3" high nock. I moved the rest up as far as it would go and got bullet holes. But now my rest is way to high relative to my shelf. I'm taking it to someone tomorrow morning that knows what he's doing. I'll gladly pay him whatever he asks to fix it (call it an idiot tax). Then I'll leave it the heck alone until after 10/9 at least...

All this and less than two weeks before the 9/11 GA archery opener...
Old 08-31-2004, 07:12 AM
Dominant Buck

I found my problem. I started taking my bow apart and while I had it in the press, I removed the cable guard. I looked at it and it had a very small crack. The crack was slightly pinching the cable. I put on a new one and everything is back to normal.