Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

problem shooting with multiple pins

Old 08-29-2004, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default problem shooting with multiple pins

I was just curious if this was normal:

I was having a tough time shooting with the multiple pins in my sight. There were some problems with the tuning of the bow, but that wasn't all. Once I got the tuning issues taken care of, I was still having difficultly visually with the multiple pins. Finally, I took all but one pin out, set it at 20 yds and the troubles went away. I learned to shoot shooting one pin. Is it normal to get used to an "open" sight window and is there anything I can do yo get used to multiple pins (maybe even just 2 or 3)??
Old 08-29-2004, 08:29 PM

Default RE: problem shooting with multiple pins

I normally shoot with 5 pins set on 20,30,40,50 and 60 yards for "practice" and 3D but when it's time to hunt I only have 2 or maybe 3 pins. One thing I've noticed is that if it's getting dark but before legal shooting hours are over, my fiber optic pins seem to blurr togther. Probably more to do with my aging eyes but a 20 and 30 yard pin is all I need do the deed Helps me with "too many pin confusion syndrom" at crunch time also
Old 08-29-2004, 08:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm just a multi-pin sort of guy........too paranoid to shoot just one pin in case I get that broadside 40 yarder.

Anyway, if your bow is fast enough it's not much of a handicap to shoot just one pin for most real world bowhunting distances, however if you have confidence from 30-40 yards and the shot presents itself, a single pin set at 20 yards IS going to be a handicap plain and simple.

If your personal limits prevent you from shooting over 30 yards then set that 1 pin for 25 yards and compensate accordingly. A little high...a little low.

If you plan to shoot farther I recommend at least 2 pins, 20 and 30 yarders.

Just tell yourself on a 25 yard shot to "Bracket" or "Gap" the target. Just frame what you want to hit with the 2 pins evenly. Don't aim high or low with one pin or the other.........just shoot the air in between. This is actually very accurate and your mind will naturally center everything for you.
Then If a 35 yard quality shot presents itself you will also have a 30 yard pin and will not have to aim off the top of the animal like you would with just a 20 yard pin.
Old 08-30-2004, 10:13 AM

I have 5 pins. I just align up the round sight bracket (Spot Hogg Real Deal) with the round peep sight and center all the pins with that.
Old 08-30-2004, 10:42 AM

Check out the Trophy Ridge line of vertical pin sights.

they have 3 or 5 pins set in line vertically so they dont fill your sight window

http://www.trophyridge.com