Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Can someone start me off?

Old 08-25-2004, 12:33 AM

Default Can someone start me off?

I have never in my life shot an arrow. I have never picked up a bow or ever even been seriously hunting. But now I have read and read and gawk at the hunting trophy galleries. Can someone tell me whether I should start like taking up archery lesson and what kind of bow I should be looking at to start me off. I have decided bow hunting is it for me, I am ready to invest time and effort.
Old 08-25-2004, 04:05 AM

Default RE: Can someone start me off?

my first recommendation would be to try and find a local archey club to join where people can give you hands on help and advice when it comes to bow selection and shooting form. The internet is a great resource for information but it is lacking when it comes to personal instruction.
Old 08-25-2004, 06:07 AM

A good archery shop can help a lot. It is important to get a good fit, and they will know how to do that properly. A good shop will also know how to properly tune your bow - also very important. They can also give you the lessons to get started or refer you to the area's best teacher. In my opinion, it is not important what bow you end up with. New, used, low-end, top of the line, they all will do the job. However, the right bow shop can make all the difference in your success. Ask around and find out which bow shop has employees that know the most, then go there.

Good luck,
Old 08-25-2004, 06:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Find a pro shop in your area there some one will be able to coach you on how to properly shoot a bow as far as buying a new bow prices vary just depends on how much you are willing to spend on a set up.
Old 08-25-2004, 08:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

If your interested in bowhunting then do as the others have suggested and go to a pro shop and let them know how much your willing to spend ,this way they can set you up according to your budget.I'd start small and inexpensive and if you find then that bowhunting is for you then you can alway's update later .

nubo
Old 08-25-2004, 11:03 AM

I'll offer a good piece of advise, while you're starting out Never, ever draw a bow without an arrow on the string with your release or fingers and all the while pointing it at a safe backstop. This will save you money in the long run and don't ever let anyone pull your bow,,, let them shoot it if you like, just don't let them "try it out"
Old 08-25-2004, 12:17 PM

Gen X:

In your situation, your only choice is to visit a pro-shop. However, I use the term "pro" very lightly. Although a rarity, I was in a "pro" shop last week. I watched and overheard the sales BS as a first-time (middle aged) archer was sold over $1000.00 of new gear, and most of the gear was inappropriate for any first-time shooter. The shop had him struggle to pull the very short ATA bow…. as his arrow kept falling off the rest…. and had him shoot 6 arrows. When he finally hit within a large circle at 12 yards away, he was told that he was ready to go hunting.

I strongly suggest that before you go to ANY pro shop you first establish what will be the best gear for you while in the novice stage. If you don't, you are likely to end up with the wrong bow because the shop needs to move it off the shelf, you may end up paying more than you need to because you don't know much about pricing archery gear, you may end up with more gear than a B-52 has instruments, and you may end up with gear that is too complex even for a mechanical engineer.

There are some ethical bow shop owners that visit these forums. They may too far away for you to personally visit, but you might save yourself a lot of grief if you get on the telephone and call them and discuss what is the best setup for you to start with. If you do not buy from one of them, at least when you go into a local bow shop you will not be totally uninformed and end up being a victim.
Old 08-25-2004, 12:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd recommend checking out a few different pro-shops in your area if it is possible. Some shops tend to try and push certain products on their customers. Don't let any person hand you a bow and say this is the right one for you. Every bow is going to have it's own feel. It's up to you to decide which one feels the best.
Old 08-26-2004, 12:32 AM

As stated above one can pay a lot, for something that does not fit. Do not buy until you know something about what you are buying. You can go to a shop or a club with a range & talk to people & pull some bows to verify the weights you are in shape for, or you wish to get in shape for; read instructions & publications that are easy for you to understand.

One can only learn so much from second or third hand knowledge. You will need a bow of some kind to validate what you think you have consumed. So this first bow set-up may be dependent on how affluent one may be, or how much experience you are leaning on at the time you buy.

For sure do not buy a lot of expensive equipment before you know the workings of the bow, as most of it, only adds weight & slows the bow anyways.

Some pro shops are connected to a club in one way or another and will let you know when meetings are taking place. This is a good chance to get to know people who take this sport serious.
Old 08-29-2004, 03:31 PM

Invest some time and effort into the proper "archery course" so that your shooting form and basics are taught right the first time. No sense learning someone elses bad habits. Find a qualified teacher then take the time to listen and practice. They generally will have equipment for you to try before you invest your hared earned cash into something that you might regret.

Then a pro-shop. That is someone who deals primarily in archery, not some sports shop that has a couple of dirty, dusty bows hanging on the back wall. Find someone who knows the equipment and the sport.

Welcome to a wonderful world.