Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

My new bow

Old 08-22-2004, 08:43 AM
8PT

Default My new bow

I got my new bow this week and it looks like it is gonna be a shooter.
Diamond Gladiator 29" draw 60#
NAP quicktune 4000 dropaway rest
Copper John Deadnuts hunter sight
Truglow/Doinker stabilizer
Tru vision hunter peep
Limb savers
string leeches
string release loop
Gold Tip XT5575 / XT7595 arrows (4" rt. helical feathers/vanes)
125 grain points

This thing looks like it is going to be just as forgiving as the Diamond Hornet as far as arrow variation is concerned and at least 10 fps faster. I just got to get time to get it shot in and a little more tweaking.

--------------------
Old 08-22-2004, 08:57 AM

Default RE: My new bow

Congrats on the new bow, 8PT. You can also be proud that they are made right there in LA. I went to high school with Josh Halbert, who started and owns Diamond Archery. He does make one fine bow.
Old 08-22-2004, 12:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

My neighbor shoots a 70# 29" Gladiator.
Schweet shooting bow ifn I don't say so myself.

Have furn with it.
Old 08-24-2004, 10:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

How do you feel it's recoil and vibration compare to the Hornet (which I'm still shooting)?

Does it give you that just sits in your hand feeling like the Outback and others?
Old 08-24-2004, 10:36 PM
8PT

Hello RB, long time no see. I havn't been on here much in a while. I still have my Hornet which I have no plans to get rid of any time so. I am probably not the best person to ask about shock and vibration since I am not very sensitive to it probably due to 33 years of banging and turning wrenches on heavy equipment and dulling the sensitivity in my hands and arms. The Gladiator is very similar to the Hornet in most ways except 3.5" longer,7 oz. heavier and 10 - 12 fps faster. It does seem to hold steadier on target during the shot and follow through. This is probably due to the longer A to A and slight increase in mass weight.

I am not one to try to wring every last fps of speed at all costs like some but this thing is plenty fast for me. I am a little concerned about maybe having to change from my normal 20-30-40 yard pin settings due to lack of pin spacing. My initial setup and some arrow speeds before final tuning are:

Diamond Gladiator 60lb. 29" draw length with string leeches, loop, Tru-vision peep, NAP QT 4000 drop away rest, limb savers and Gold Tip XT5575 carbon arrows.

410 gr. arrow with 4" hard rt. helical vanes = 271 fps
350 gr. arrow with 3" hard rt. helical vanes = 283 fps.
307 gr. arrow with 3" rt. helical feathers = 304 fps

The shop owner handed me an under weight arrow to shoot thru the chrono (I think he said about 260-270 gr.) and it showed 321 fps. without much noticable increase in noise and vibration.

I think I like it I am not very good at typing replys, but if you would like to chat about sometimes I have unlimited long distance access and you can email me a phone number and time and I would be glad to give you a ring.
Old 09-19-2004, 06:51 PM

I leave in ny and we just got them at the pro shop they are sweet.
Old 09-20-2004, 01:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Range, I'm not very hip to the correct terminoligy (nor do I care to be).
But I can say that my neighbors Gladiator doesn't kick as bad as my Z-light or Stalker, but at the same time it doesn't just sit there after the shot like my Patriot.
Not bad at all and very managable, but not recoil free.
I think the machete's limbs are more parallel, but after shooting both I am more impressed by the Gladiator. It will hum an arrow very true in flight and is very quiet to boot.
His stats go a little something like this- hit it-
29" 70#, peep, leech's
388 gr arrow-mid 290's
my 420 grainers- ~275 ish

My Pat is shooting the 420's 10fps slower, but then again I'm only pulling 65# w/ same draw and string setup.

p.s., those speeds are on my chrony which is 6-7 fps slower than local shop speeds.