Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Mechanical or fixed???

Old 08-20-2004, 07:33 AM

Default Mechanical or fixed???

Which kind do you prefer and why??

come on boys let the debate begin

Steve
Old 08-20-2004, 07:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Mechanical or fixed???

I prefer fixed. I have nothing against mechanicals other then I believe they are too expensive, and I don't feel they are as durable as fixed. On the deer I have shot with mechanicals, I have always broken blades and tips (rockets). I exclusively shoot my hunting setup on my compound bow, and the mechanicals would just not hold up under those circumstances. I can shoot thousands of shots with my fixed blades, and either sharpen, or replace the blades, and they are ready to hunt with. I don't think there are any mechanicals out there that can do that, and if there are, they are probably too expensive.

I know that some say that mechanicals shoot the same as field points, but that is not good enough for my confidence to sit on. I personally have a need to shoot my complete hunting setup on my hunting bow.
Old 08-20-2004, 11:45 AM

Which kind do you prefer and why??
It all depends on the speed & accuracy you demand: and how important that is, to the possibility of a broken blade.

Some companies now will set the blades of fixed blade heads to work with the fletching for a much more accurate flight. One can also hone the blades to do the same.
Old 08-20-2004, 05:42 PM

this has been beat to death, do a search, you will find loads.
Old 08-21-2004, 05:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.broadheadtests.com/MECHANICALVSFIXED.html
Old 09-19-2004, 06:45 PM

I love fixed blades (montec's) they look so darn good. I couldn't shoot them anyway's don't have the kenitic energy because I have a short draw length 23.
Old 09-19-2004, 08:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

It really depends on your set-up. What are you shooting? There are many people's set-up that shopuld not shoot mechanicals.
Old 09-19-2004, 08:34 PM
Super Moderator

I prefer fixed blades because I have been very successful with them, I use Muzzys and see no need to change. If I were to change heads it would be a different brand and style of fixed blades. Call me contrary if you wish, but I see no gain at all for me to hunt with a mechanical. Plus, its much more of a hassle for me to practice with mechanicals and to carry them in my bow quiver.
Old 09-19-2004, 10:05 PM

Mechanicals, because they do fly like field points(for me anyway) and I've never had a problem of any kind with them.
Old 09-20-2004, 04:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.broadheadtests.com/MECHANICALVSFIXED.html

Quick Reply: Mechanical or fixed???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.