Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

can a new seving effect arrow speed

Old 08-18-2004, 04:50 PM

Default can a new seving effect arrow speed

I put a new serving on my bow. Its was my first time doing a serving. it looks great. The only other thing I did to the bow was I took one twist out of the string to align the peep. Nock is in the same place and my up and down tears through paper are good. When shooting my arrows were hitting high. I kept thinking it was me. I resighted in and shot great after doing so. evry thing else on the bow is the same. cable lenght, string length poundage, brace height rest, nock position, The only thing I can think is I put a little more serving on than what was on their previously. Could that some how be what caused the sudden change.Thanks
Old 08-18-2004, 05:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: can a new seving effect arrow speed

The answer to your question is "yes". Anything added to the bowstring including extra center serving, peep serving or string silencer serving can reduce arrow speed. Extra center serving is probably the worst as it is located in the center of the bowstring.

How much of a speed difference are we talking about?
Old 08-18-2004, 09:32 PM

I can't really tell you in fps but I was shooting about 8-10 in high at 40 yds and about 6-8 at 30 and bout 2-4 at 20. I actually gained speed I was just informed that being I used a thinner serving thread from I'm not sure exactly what was on their before either a .021 or a .019 down to a .018. that I could of have gained a bit of speed. that and with a little bit looser nock and the one twist ou tof the string combined may hve given me a little more oomf. The good news is I have room for a 50yd pin now
Old 08-19-2004, 07:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

When your serving size is so big it makes your nocks a tight fit, it can rob you of significant arrow speed. Serving size and nock fit is one area where most people don't put much of their attention and it's very important, even critical, when it comes to performance, accuracy and consistency.
Old 08-19-2004, 07:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Appleso lutely what Arthur said. That's why I always strip off factory serving and reserve with thinner serving. Most are way too tight on nocks. Not only that but I've found most factory strings to next to garbage, although some companies are starting to put strings on from custom string makers now, such as Winners Choice or Vapor Trail.