Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

TurboNock noise

Old 08-12-2004, 03:35 PM

Default TurboNock noise

I remember the days when archers shooting vane fletched arrows would make string jumping comments about the noise of feathers in flight, well recently I got to witness someone shooting TurboNocks and could not believe the noise made by these. Im very surprised there has not been more written on this subject.
BD
Old 08-12-2004, 04:14 PM

Default RE: TurboNock noise

Shot inside especially ina closed in environment like a shooting range they are at their loudest. Listen outside. They may be a bit louder than feathers but not overly so and I don't think they're so much louder as they sound different.
Old 08-12-2004, 04:19 PM

Trushot I was outside when listening to them and as a former feather shooter I would have to say they are substantially louder, as in not in the same league louder, as in possibly equivalent to a 12" steep helical four feather fletched arrow.
BD
Old 08-12-2004, 04:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

No offense to Nick (I see he's been poking around here), but I have to agree..they are extremely loud, IME. The "tonal" quality is different, and the volume seems quite a bit louder than any massive helical feathers I've ever shot...even at high speeds.

That, and the fact that I prefer my fletching further forward to clear my face/beard, is why I've never plunked down the cash.

They do shoot well though.
Old 08-12-2004, 05:22 PM

Yeah some folks say they are noisy, some do not. Usually when they are making noise is a sign the arrow in not tuned properly and the Turbo is correcting. usually raising the nocking point slightly will straighten out the flight of the arrow and quiet it down. Indoors the Hunter sounds like a mosquito, the Deax is inaudible. Outdoors I can not hear either one.In my opinion conventional fletch vanes make a more audible sound. I can hear conventional fletch leave a bow 30yds away. I can not hear the turbo.
The real issue here is does the sound the turbo make spook animals ?
We have been field testing and hunting for two years and have had no complaints from any staff shooters or shooters in general of the TURBO spooking and animal and causing it to duck or jump.
I now have several videos I show at hunting shows that are from the tv hunting shows we sponser. Everytime we get footage we run it in extreme slow motion to see if there is any reaction by the animal before the arrow arrives.
Of all the animals taken none reacted to the shot until the arrow hit or passed through them except for a pronghorn antelope. It was shot from a blind at a waterhole at about 20yds. I think it reacted to the bow noise.
We reviewed the tape and when the arrow was about 12inches from its shoulder (traveling at about 290fps) the antelope started to lift its right leg. It got its leg about 2inches off the ground when the arrow passed through. It went down in seven seconds.
We have two black bear video and several white tial video and some african game. There were no complaints from the animals and none reacted to anysound but only to the strike of the arrow.
I will try to attach some images I took from the videos where you can see the arrow at the moment of impact. You can make out a faint green streak showing the motion of the arrow.

Bottom line the TURBO is a formidable asset to hunting!!

This first photo is a BEAR (DUH)
you can see the little green end of the turbo , It kind of looks like a butterfly near his shoulder. at this point the arrow is already in the bear and only about 6inches is stickin out . notice the bear has its head down.

Old 08-12-2004, 05:29 PM

This is a video still of the pronghorn.
This shows the arrow just as it enters the shoulder, TOO LATE!!!!!!!!!
It did not have a chance. The arrow went through and broke its left leg and it bled out on camera in seven seconds
Old 08-12-2004, 05:32 PM

here is the antelope

Old 08-12-2004, 05:34 PM

Here is a deer just after the arrow hit behind the shoulder. It jumped on impact and broke the arrow in half, but the damage was done,it ran about 4oyds

Old 08-12-2004, 05:35 PM

Here is another deer that ran about 50yds after being hit.
you can see the wound damage

Old 08-12-2004, 05:39 PM

This is the 500lb pope and young quality black bear taken by Greg Hopf.
The arrow went through the nock popped off and the arrow was sticking in the ground. the bear went about 60 yds and bled out.

Quick Reply: TurboNock noise

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.