Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

TurboNock noise

Old 08-18-2004, 09:15 PM

Default RE: TurboNock noise

O.K I guess it's my turn. First off Nick just because you have a few photos showing deer being hit by a turbo nocked arrow that are not jumping the string does not mean deer cannot and do not jump the string. As proof I will offer all the filmed bowhunts where in slow motion they show a deer moving down approx a full body width before the arrow arrives at the sound of a shot. Also when you say 3/8 of a second is not enough time for a deer to accomplish any movement I will tell you I once shot at a deer that was looking at me from approx 30 + yards ( a foolish move for sure) what I seen with my own eyes was a deer that swapped ends and was a few feet away in the short time it took the arrow to arrive, also after viewing some of you earlier photos you posted it appears the game animals have infact lowered there bodies before impact.
One last question for you and or others. My cousin has been shooting TurboNocks for about three weeks and I just finished re-serving his bow due to the serving (BCY 62) being almost completely cut through at the point the nock attaches to the string, do TurboNocks cause excessive serving wear or was this a freak thing.
BD
Old 08-24-2004, 04:48 PM

I usually get about 6000 shots on my serving. We vibration finish all nocks so that there are no sharp edges to cause excessive wear.
Some of the very first turbos two years ago were not vibration finished and we had a few issues with serving wear, but not since the finishing process.
I agree with you that game can jump bow string. , but all the video to date was done with quiet bows, and we saw no evidence of the animals jumping the bow, or the TURBO NOCK.

The Pronghorn in the video we have did react to the sound of the shot and began to move before the arrow arrived.
We measured as best we could and from the video we determined that the arrow was 12 inches from the antelope's shoulder , when it started to lift its right front leg. It got its hoof about four to six inches of the ground as the arrow passed through it and that was too late. It went down in seven seconds.
No other animal that we videoed showed any signs of recognizing any noise and only reacted to the impact of the arrow .
Old 08-24-2004, 11:35 PM

I usually get about 6000 shots on my serving. We vibration finish all nocks so that there are no sharp edges to cause excessive wear.
Some of the very first turbos two years ago were not vibration finished and we had a few issues with serving wear, but not since the finishing process.
I agree with you that game can jump bow string. , but all the video to date was done with quiet bows, and we saw no evidence of the animals jumping the bow, or the TURBO NOCK.
Nick:

I did receive my DeadX nocks, but will not be able to experiment with them for a few days.

I looked at them and out of the 24 I have there was about 5 that had an extra extension or deformity at the tip; or one may say a perceptible dissimilarity of the two sides of the tip.

So, should one modify the one side of the tip with the longer extension to bring back a symmetric end ????

As for noise we have found, like Holt, that when an arrow reached the kill in less than ½ sec there has been on problem of string jumping.
Old 08-25-2004, 12:18 PM

dwassp

I guess what you are seeing is a little flash left over from the injection process, usually the vibration process eliminates all of it.
You can just sand it off with a piece of sand paper or small file.
It is probably about 1/50 grain in weight and will cause no variation in your arrow performance.
Old 08-26-2004, 10:56 AM

I guess what you are seeing is a little flash left over from the injection process, usually the vibration process eliminates all of it.
You can just sand it off with a piece of sand paper or small file.
It is probably about 1/50 grain in weight and will cause no variation in your arrow performance.
The defects would be easy to take off; I was just trying to get a feel of how sensitive you thought the job would or should be. If the weight of the defect could effects anything: for sure the nock would be useless.
Old 08-26-2004, 01:10 PM

I bought the turbo nock at Harrisburgh and have not tried it yet. I will try it this weekend and give a honest review of it. I too have heard it is noisy but I am willing to try it for my own opinion. The people that said it was noisy did say they would use it when not deer hunting (3D and Field tournaments). I am not sure if the bow setup will need to be changed to fairly evaulate the Turbo Nock or not. My thought is, it will add weight to the rear of the arrow plus slight change in spine stiffness. So, will the arrow not flyas it wsa tuned for with a conventional setup? I guess we will find out the answer to that also.
Old 08-26-2004, 10:45 PM

Wow you bought them last winter and are just sitting on them. I would have been a little more curious.
anyhow. They require a tuning change. TURBOS tend to flybest a little nock higher than conventional fletch arrows.

You can not use the math and foc issues thar are used on arrows that use only windresistance to provide stability.
The TURBO uses rifling !!!! This changes everything about arrow flight , just like cams changed the bow.

If you did not get the Tuning tips sheet with you package at Harrisburg,
contact me and I will e-mail them to you. or go to www.turbonock.com and click on tuning tips.

This is quite strange, but is seems that folks who are new to the turbo try to find all kind of things why not to hunt with them. Yet those who have hunted with them have been quite successful. I am new to this site, and all the testing everyone is attempting to do here to verify the turbo to folks on this site have been done over and over again on other sites!
If you need additional Info on the history of this product, just go to archery talk and type in TURBO NOCK on their search section !
I wish you well with your test shooting. If you bought them from me at Harrisburg , I am assuming you got to watch the video we were showing of the seven second kill of the antelope.
We had it at Harrisburg, also we had a bear kill on video in slowmotion showing the bear with its head down eating and the arrow passes through the bear and it does not react until the arrow hits the ground after the pass through. Neither the pronghorn or the bear heard anything to cause them to pre jump the shot. That is one of our main selling points.
Old 08-26-2004, 11:32 PM

guys, just try them. They work as advertised.
Old 08-26-2004, 11:49 PM

if you haven't tried the turbo nock and given it a true chance your missing out on the turbo nocks. as for sound with the turbo nocks i haven't had any problem with them. too make another statement about turbo nocks is they will improve your shooting and accuracy if you take the time to tune the turbo nock you will find it one of hte best investments you will ever make. noise i have heard form both feathers which is very audible and vanes that also makde noise. i have been down range and there is no audible sound that i have heard. i'm not one for pictures and such but i have shot many animals and the turbo nocks is one of the best pieces of equipment you can use at anytime whether at the hunt or shooting spots or 3d. the truth be said i am one of old guys when it comes to the turbo nock and checking out nick snook and the invent of the turbo nock. you will have to try them and set your bow up to shoot them to see why i shoot them.
they will do a great job anf for those of us who make a late evening shot the turbo will pop off with impact and you have the starting place for your trailing for the buck. whether shooting a wb or a dropa way you will find that hte turbo nock especially the new nylon will make you a happy person just don't shoot the same place as i have done duble checking the grouping of broadheads and you will be amzed i have a 1 inch groups at 50 yards which is my limit for long distance shooting when practicing. no shots past 4o on any day and the shot had better be wide open. gve them an honest try and yo will use them from now on. i also hate to refletch arrows and your wraps if you like them will look great all the time and the peole can see the full wrap. i was a doubting thomas but i have learned to try things like the turbo nock and am glad i gave it an honest effort and now i am member of team turbo nock and am proud to say that and nick snook is the one guy you can count on to be up front and honest about his proucts and is always there to answer questions.
for those tahat doubt the validity of the nock it;s your loss and that's a sad thing when you feel you have to belittle a product and not really give it a true workout
good luck to those that truly try the turbo nocks and you will see why we the staff shooters are a happy bunch of hunters and shooters
rob k
Old 08-27-2004, 04:15 PM

Nick please beleive me Im not here to knock your product and do wish you the best of luck with it but as I said I did witness my shooting partner shooting turbo nocks and they were noisy and did damage his serving others shooting with us also agreed they have never heard any fletching that loud. Recently I asked the serving damage question and you replied the vibration process takes off any sharp edges so that no damage would occur, then dwasp writes that his nocks have burrs or extra plastic edges left from the molding process and you come back with the vibration process must have missed them and to sand the edges off with sand paper. which is it does the vibration process work or not this was not an isolated case of one nock but quite a few in his dozen. Also it would be nice to hear reviews regarding noise etc.. from others than those people you sponser who refuse to find any downside to the product. Its not the money to try something new as much as its the pain to have to switch your bow back to another setup if dissatisfied.
BD

Quick Reply: TurboNock noise

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.