Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

switched to carbons now sight problems

Old 08-11-2004, 07:43 PM

Default switched to carbons now sight problems

I recently switched to carbons from aluminum shafts and i initially changed my sights. i had to move the pins up. i had to move the elevation up almost 1/2 an inch on the bow. is this normal. my nocking point is ok. i am using a fall away rest. also i have noticed i can use the same sight pin from 10 to about 25 yards. is it possible my bow is shooting that much flatter? i can group them just fine. i am using a cheap jennings fire star bow i bought about ten years ago. looking to upgrade soon just need cash
Old 08-11-2004, 08:02 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: switched to carbons now sight problems

Sounds fine to me.
Old 08-12-2004, 06:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm not so sure shooting ultralight arrows on a bow that old is a wise idea.
[:-]
Old 08-17-2004, 07:45 PM

why is this not a wise idea? am i looking at possible problems
Old 08-17-2004, 08:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

stumpy as long as you stay within 5 grains per pound of draw weight you will be fine.
Old 08-17-2004, 09:33 PM
Typical Buck

I never saw where stumpy said what carbons he was shooting. The weight issue will depend on what brand/model he's shooting.

The reason you're having to move your sights is due to the different diamter of the aluminums vs the carbons. I'm assuming the carbons are smaller diameter... this will effectively raise your nocking point due to the arrow sitting further down into the rest... causing more of a downward angle. You'll need to adjust your rest and sights to compensate. Shoot it through paper a few times and see how much adjustment to the rest you need to make... then after that's done.. adjust your sights accordingly.
Old 08-17-2004, 10:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Guys, that 5 grains per pound warranty stuff has only come about in the past 6-7 years. NOBODY did that before then. Older bows were never intended to handle less than 6 grains per pound of draw weight.

Not only that, but older bows are... well... OLDER. They've got an accumulation of use and abuse over the years that could result in a catastrophic failure with light arrows. It is not wise to try and make a 15-20 year old bow keep up with the performance of a late model bow.

If my memory hasn't totally deserted me, the old Jennings FireStar even has steel cables and a dacron string!

Having to move your sights UP a half inch to get back on target - which I assume you did AFTER you retuned the bow to the new arrows - means you substantially reduced your arrow weight. That's regardless of what brand and size you picked. Doesn't take a genius to figure that one out.

I seen plenty of those old bows turn to flying shrapnel with light arrows - even in the days when they were still new! I strongly suggest you forget about using carbon arrows on that bow! If you want something other than aluminum, then try Carbon Express Terminator Selects. They have the smaller diameter and toughness of carbon with plenty of weight to keep your bow from wrapping your head in string and cables while the limbs play your head for a snare drum.
Old 08-18-2004, 06:59 PM

if you are shooting a very lite arrow it will pick up a great deal of speed , but you canalso be picking up a disaster by shooting too lite of an arrow .make sure your new arrows are the right spine for the draw weight you are pulling .
Old 08-19-2004, 07:33 PM

thanks for the advice. i am shooting easton carbonaeros. i am shooting 55 lbs at 27 inch draw length. i was shooting xx75 2117. i have been shooting getting ready for the season. and have now been grouping well. the arrows are a smaller diameter. i bought the arrows at the local pro shop. the owner didnt think the arrows were a concern. i am going to inquire further
Old 08-29-2004, 07:52 PM

i need to be more clear on the arrows. i am shooting easton carbon epics length from the bottom of nock groove to cut length is 27.75 inches. estimated arrow weight is 371 grains. the weight is based off of eastons website of the shaft and components. i estimated the fletching at 8.5 grains. at 55 pound draw weight that is 6.75 grains per lb. the front of center percentage is at 14.2%. does anyone have any insight to possible problems. i cant find info on the bow Jennings Firestar. i know it is old anyone know what the recommended grains per pound is for this bow?

Quick Reply: switched to carbons now sight problems

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.