Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Help,I need a new bow

Old 08-10-2004, 10:59 AM

Default Help,I need a new bow

Hello.I am going to purchase a new bow this week.I now own a Martin Prowler.My draw length is 27,I think when I purchased the Martin in 1997 the bow shop modified a 29 inch Draw Length and it has never been correct.Axle to Axle,this bow is 41 inches with about an 8 inch brace height.I mostly shoot only before and after hunting seasons,and the forgiving brace height is a must on the new bow,but the length must be shorter.I can hardly move in the tree with this load.Plus it is difficult to shoot over the top climbing stand rail if the target is close.Learned that the hard way.Will I loose accuracy in a shorter axle to axle bow ? Does the Brace Height make that much difference in accuracy ? Are new bows more forgiving ?Can anyone recommend a nice bow that fits ?Speed is not that important,I now shoot Draw Weight at 58 lbs.I think with proper set -up I will enjoy more, thereby practice more.I have not shot any new equipment and have no manufacturer preference.Thanks j mac
Old 08-10-2004, 12:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Help,I need a new bow

i shoot a mathews lx with a 28 inch draw...it is a short bow by my standards, and I really like it. Just shoot a few and see what fits. My dad shoots a High Country that shoots nearly as nice as my Mathews. I spent more in accessories than he did on his bow.[&:] Point being, a bow that fits you will shoot good for you, regardless of price or name on the limb.
Old 08-10-2004, 01:29 PM

Two that you might check out are the Mathews Outback and the Bowtech Justice. Both of these are in the 31" range and both have over 7 1/2" brace height.

There are plenty of other bows that will do the job for you. Try to shoot a lot of bows and pick the one that feels best to you.

Good Luck,
Allen
Old 08-10-2004, 02:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

My best friend shoots a Hoyt SierraTec. The SierraTec is a short bow (not sure or the ATA?) The draw lenght in 27" and the poundge is 50 to 60 lbs.
Make sure you at least look at the Hoyt SierraTec before you buy a bow.
Good luck,
WK
Old 08-10-2004, 08:02 PM

Well it depends on how much you want to pay,

I'm using a PSE Bruin,And it's great,The whole set up cost me less than $400.00,And it goes from 40 to 65# draw,It's a vey good bow,But it's all about what's in your wallet,And what you like best,Good luck.
Old 08-11-2004, 12:02 PM
Typical Buck

This is a Bowtech forum.......so you better buy a Bowtech.
Old 08-11-2004, 01:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

You cannot go wrong with Hoyt, BowTech or Mathews. They are the three most well rounded companies out there AFAIC. They offer a wide variety of bows, and all three offer designs out of the box with a great blend of performance, silence, shootability, and tolerances. In my experience Customer service is good to excellent with all three as well.

Not to say that some of the other companies don’t excel in one or more of those areas, but those are the three right now that have the total package, in my experience.
Old 08-11-2004, 05:36 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: j mac

Hello.I am going to purchase a new bow this week.I now own a Martin Prowler.My draw length is 27,I think when I purchased the Martin in 1997 the bow shop modified a 29 inch Draw Length and it has never been correct.Axle to Axle,this bow is 41 inches with about an 8 inch brace height.I mostly shoot only before and after hunting seasons,and the forgiving brace height is a must on the new bow,but the length must be shorter.I can hardly move in the tree with this load.Plus it is difficult to shoot over the top climbing stand rail if the target is close.Learned that the hard way.Will I loose accuracy in a shorter axle to axle bow ? Does the Brace Height make that much difference in accuracy ? Are new bows more forgiving ?Can anyone recommend a nice bow that fits ?Speed is not that important,I now shoot Draw Weight at 58 lbs.I think with proper set -up I will enjoy more, thereby practice more.I have not shot any new equipment and have no manufacturer preference.Thanks j mac
Will I loose accuracy in a shorter axle to axle bow ?
Depends on your Form, but My guess would be moving to a new bow you will probably be more accurate.

Does the Brace Height make that much difference in accuracy ?
Once again depends on the shooter, but you being a short draw guy, you have "built in forgiveness in the brace height department.

Are new bows more forgiving ?
Yes.

Can anyone recommend a nice bow that fits ?
That Fits? That is Personal Preference but it sounds like you are looking for a Tree stand bow. I'd go Razortec.