Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

QuikSpins - Personal Test

Old 08-06-2004, 09:02 PM

Default QuikSpins - Personal Test

On another post (http://forum.hunting.net/asppg/tm.asp?m=711174) I asked the question if QuikSpins were worth the $$$. It got a good response and stirred up things too. As I mentioned in that post, I went shooting tonight to try them for myself. Here are my results.

Setup:
Hoyt MT Sport Cam 1/2 - 70# - 27.75 inch GoldTip XT Hunter 7595 tipped with 125 gr 3-Blade Muzzy Broadheads (practice blades) into a Block Target (Holy Cow - I feel the the outdoor channel running an ad in here )

3 arrows with standard GoldTip vanes
3 arrows with QuikSpins

I shot at 20 yards, 35 yards and 50 yards

At 20 yards I really didn't see any difference in my groups. I had good groups with both sets of arrows. I did stack two arrows together with the QuikSpins, but I do that with normal vanes every now and then too.

-- moved to 35 yards and randomly rotated broadheads on all arrows --

At 35 yards I did see some better groups. Maybe an inch, but I wasn't measuring, I didn't have time! A couple things I noticed, however, that I shrugged off at 20 yards due to the distance itself were penetration and drop. Penetration was better with every arrow than my "normal" vanes. The arrows were consistantly a 1" to 1 1/2" deeper into the target. I also saw zero drop. The QuikSpins didn't drop at all and some of my groups were a little higher than the normal vanes.

-- moved to 50 yards and randomly rotated broadheads on all arrows --

At 50 yards I didn't see any improvement on groups. Both were solid, but did have one good QuikSpin group around the bullseye. I also only shot here twice (I was getting tired! [8D]). Again, zero drop and penetration was deeper. This was consistant at all distances.

I made one minor mistake at 50 yards (let one fly high, it was my fault and I knew it [:@]) My arrow hit the top of the block (wood part) and bounced up. It banged up a QuikSpin vane a really good. For kicks as I was leaving, at 20 yards I shot it. I wanted to see what it might do. First shot.. almost dead center bullseye (1 inch orange sticker)... Shot it again... bullseye a little right. Maybe I need to bang up all my vanes from now on!

--- Conclusions ---

I need to shoot them more to really see if they group better. From shooting tonight I would say they grouped slightly better (mostly because of my 35 yard groups). I was excited to see the lack of drop and increased penetration. I hunt Elk and Mulies, so this is big to me. Also, as far as noise. I couldn't tell. Honestly couldn't. I kept thinking they were a little noiser, but I could have "wanted" to hear that. I don't know. Seemed the same as feathers to me, but I don't know on that one.

Hope some find this interesting or helpful if you are looking to grab some for yourself. So far, I'm willing to pay for them, but I need to shoot these to death first. By then, I will know whether to go buy more.
Old 08-06-2004, 11:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: QuikSpins - Personal Test

Bowelkfreak! thank's for the review on the Quickspin's I've been pondering buying some and have been watching your thread religiuosly to see what the result's were .I think I'm going to get some and try them just to see for myself ,but they do sound like they're worth a try.

nubo
Old 08-08-2004, 12:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

BEF- thanks for the review, i've been wondering the same thing... are the worth the $$$. I too think I might have to give them a shot. Thanks for the details also.
Old 08-15-2004, 12:27 AM

I've continued this test every night for about a week now. Nothing has really changed from above, but I am seeing some better groups at distances now. Plus my groups are consistenly a little higher (1 to 2 inches) than with my traditional vanes. I would conclude so far, they are making my arrow shoot slightly flatter, plus providing slighty better groups and better penetration.

Testing is over for me. I'm leaving out of town on business. Back Thursday - heading to deer camp friday.. going hunting on Saturday (Aug. 21st) - WAHOOOO!!! Time to test them on a Mulie!
Old 08-15-2004, 07:54 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]