Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

rejuvinating feathers...

Old 08-06-2004, 12:58 PM

Default rejuvinating feathers...

okay, being new to "featherland," i am curious as to when one should try to steam feathers back into shape? what am i looking for when it comes time to "rejuvinate" them? right now my test arrows still look great and are flying great. (i've been really trying to mistreat them to see how much abuse they can take.) just wondering at what point other guys start putting them to the steam...

thanks in advance!

btw, i really like this feather gig. i do believe i'll have them in my quiver for hunting season...
Old 08-06-2004, 01:24 PM

Default RE: rejuvinating feathers...

When your "feathers get ruffled" it's time to steam 'em. I can usually tell because they make more noise, and aren't quite as stable.
Old 08-06-2004, 07:23 PM

Default RE: rejuvinating feathers...

Steam is cheap. If they don't look as upright and as great as when you first received them, steam them. I steam mine the minute any look slightly ruffled.

When you keep shooting a "ruffled" feather, you are going to cause increasing damage to the quills.
Old 08-06-2004, 08:30 PM

Default RE: rejuvinating feathers...How long?

How long do you steam them for?
Old 08-06-2004, 09:06 PM

Default RE: rejuvinating feathers...How long?

How long do you steam them for?
Just long enough that the feathers straightened. Sometimes I will assist by smooting the quills between my fingers.

Do not use a PAN of water, use a TEA KETTLE with the spout cap removed. With the kettle, the steam is pressurized and the pressure helps straighten the feathers. If you use a pan, the steam is to passive and tends to drench the feathers before they can revive.

Once the fletch is revived, gently blow the fletch to cool the fletch.