Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Rest Noise

Old 08-06-2004, 09:01 AM

Default Rest Noise

I bought a used bow a couple of years ago and it has a 2 prong style rest on it. I like the rest but have one problem with it, when I draw back it makes a screaching sound. The prongs look like they have been wraped with monofiliment or mabey even serving, I think the last owner of the bow may have done this him/herself. Would it help if I installed some of that shrink wrap tubing, or mabey paint them whith fingernail polish like I saw in another post? Or do I need to get a new rest? Oh, if it matters I use aluminum arrows.
Old 08-06-2004, 11:11 AM

Default RE: Rest Noise

I bought a used bow a couple of years ago and it has a 2 prong style rest on it. I like the rest but have one problem with it, when I draw back it makes a screaching sound. The prongs look like they have been wraped with monofiliment or mabey even serving, I think the last owner of the bow may have done this him/herself. Would it help if I installed some of that shrink wrap tubing, or mabey paint them whith fingernail polish like I saw in another post? Or do I need to get a new rest? Oh, if it matters I use aluminum arrows.
Take off the monofilament & try it. The Launcher pins must be smooth, the filament is .018 more or less & it would be to easy for the arrow to shift on it 1/64ā€.

One can take a 1/8ā€ brazing rod & make pins, just make sure the arrow contacts them at the same elevation & they have the same angle.

Carbon may be more muted.

& if you get a rest, one can get good fall-aways for less than $50 that are easy to use & tune. If the lifting cord they come with, is not elastic enough one may need to tie the lifting cord on with an elastic material: put a monofilament serving on the aria you plan to tie the lifting cord, then put a string nock on the serving so one can set the fall point. The initial setting for that fall point, you may want about 8ā€ into the power stroke, then you can set & tune from there; check with the company to adjust for that fall; they do not all work the same.
Old 08-06-2004, 11:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Get some teflon prong covers. You'll have to readjust the rest when you put them on, but they'll darn sure get rid of the screeching.
Old 08-06-2004, 07:46 PM

Get a Biscuit!!!
Old 08-06-2004, 08:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Your rest is probably fine.I would definately get rid of the monofilament and replace it with shrink tubing(any pro shop has it)or use clear nail polish,works great.The shrink tubing will work wonders on the screaching especially with those alluminum arrows.
Old 08-06-2004, 11:50 PM

Teflon sleeves! Aluminum shafts drag on shrink-tubing and wears the tubing quite rapidly.