Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

aluminum vs. acc

Old 02-26-2002, 10:56 PM

Default RE: aluminum vs. acc

Is your bow noisy when dry fired? No don't answer that!

With some of the lighter sizes, you can easily get half way to dry firing your bow shooting ACCs, so if your bow is noisy being dry fired, or even noisy firing 2315, then you will not find it quiet shooting ACCs.

Back a while when Randy Ulmer was the poster boy for shooting ACCs in a hunting bow, he was shooting the heaviest weight he could manage by shooting way overlength shafts, and with massive string silencers. Kind of comical really. But I suppose it was quieter.

This year may be the first year we have really quiet compounds. I just saw the new Jennings (Saunders like)dingus that catches the string, and Mathews has something simmilar. This year we may have bows that are quiet without anything on the string.

As everyone else has said, ACCs are phenominal. We now have the technology to shoot them however we like without worrying about noise, or fletching clearance, so why not do it?
Old 02-27-2002, 01:19 AM

In the Dec Jan issue of Traditional Bowhunter there was a guy that liked shooting aluminum but was noisier than carbon and wooden arrows. He takes the insert out and stuffs them with styrofoam that he gets from computer boxes and says that quiets them down enough to where he can't tell the difference. Might be worth looking into.

good luck

Rich
Old 02-27-2002, 08:15 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks all,
I think I'll try 1/2 a dozen and see what I think. They are alot lighter than the 2315's but I'm in the process of putting together a new setup and along with you folk's everyone I've talked to love's the ACC's. Thanks again to all.

gromage1
Old 02-27-2002, 12:57 PM

I wouldn't say aluminum are noisy. They clater like crazy if the rps sytem is loose, but you can use lock washers, or glue on broadheads, or even loc tite your inserts. That whole RPS thing goes back to the days when a dozen arrows didn't cost over a hundred bucks in certain cases. If you are spending a lot on arrows, then why not have broadhed arrows and target points? Stronger and less clatter. in certain cases carbon are more noisysince the ground surface can be noisy. You can deal with it, but it means that neither is perfect. Wood is great however, quietest by far, and very accurate, just not of much interest to most compound shooters, but they can be great. You have to buy good arrows in the first place however.