Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

p.o.i jumping 6" to 1 foot at 15 yds

Old 08-07-2004, 05:11 AM

Default RE: p.o.i jumping 6" to 1 foot at 15 yds

I was getting the exact same thing, I would definately "creep tune" and possibly shorten your drawlenght slightly, maybe 1/4 " or so by adding a little twist. The creep tuning alone should take care of the problem but you should also address the reason that your coming off the wall which is probably a draw lenght that is slightly too long.
Good Luck
BD
Old 08-07-2004, 06:20 AM
nub

nock pinch[X(]
Old 08-09-2004, 06:45 AM

Default Nothing definitive yet

Well, took the bow out this weekend to see if I can tell what's up.

Forgot my Sharpie for marking arrows...so I just winged it by separating any error that flew high.

Attempted to check creep tune. Held draw as hard against wall as I could and didn't get a lot of movement. I had a couple that shot slightly low of the normal point of impact...but I can't determine whether it was actually a matter for "creep tuning" or if I just was working so hard at pulling against the wall that I jiggled my aim.

As I progressed, I seemed to find two arrows that could fly high. They didn't always do it.

I tried spinning them slightly to avoid my HHA drop-away rest (but so you know, I really don't think I've got fletch contact anywhere). When spun, sometimes the jump would go away...but again, I'm not sure I jiggled the aim.

I didn't seem to notice this time so much of the front sight deal where I could see the top of the sight. It's always there...and the view never seemed to change much...so that might have been a red herring.

On draw, I'm not noticing a double bump from an extremely out of tune bow. I can barely perceive that I seem to "feel" the top cam giving a firm stop when I come to full draw...something I don't think I feel from the bottom. Not sure if this is out of time or not. Cams appear to be in sync when at rest.

At this point, I think I'll refletch the fliers with some arrows that have their vanes gone, and then retest. (and number the darn things). If the problem goes with the arrows...I'll just watch it. But if it spreads to other arrows, I'll head back to the shop again to talk to them about it.
Old 08-09-2004, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Nothing definitive yet

Before you refletch , chech your nocks , as in change them out , That may be your problem .
Old 08-09-2004, 09:25 AM

just so I know...why would changing non-broken nocks make a difference?
Old 08-09-2004, 03:08 PM

Carphunter when creep tuning you dont want to pull real hard against the wall as this will affect your impact point as well, you just want to make sure your on the wall. After shooting a few shots on the wall shoot a few more after creeping about a 1/4" forward and I will almost guarantee with you current setup that you will shoot a second group above the arrows shot off the wall. As I said earlier I just went through this with my Bowtech Dually and can almost assure you this is whats happening. If you go to the Spot-hogg website you will find excellent articles on creep tuning, but on your bow while at rest your top cam has to definately be ahead of your bottom cam this can be done by first setting the cams identicle while at rest using the cutouts or some other reference to adjust them and then repressing the bow and adding a approx 2 or 3 twist to the cable that connects to the bottom cam. After doing this you must resight the bow as the arrows will now impact higher than the wall shot but lower than the creep shot used to, you should now have all shots both creep and wall impacting together. But remember you do not pull hard against the wall just shoot firmly off it. After you get this done you will be amazed at how forgiving the bow shoots.
Good luck
BD
Old 08-10-2004, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Carp , if you would have had a sharpie it would have helped as the same arrow with a bad nock would repeatedly shoot bad . Nocks dont have to be broken to be bad , they wear out , sometime fast , even the fletching glue we use can weak'n them . If I have an arrow that flys bad and its straight , and the fletchings look good , Ill change the nock and that usealy brings it right in a group with my arrows that are flying good . Nocks are my petpeeve as they are something we tend to forget about , but they wear out and replaceing them can have drastic effects for the good . Too tight a nock fit is another problem unto itself .
Old 08-11-2004, 08:17 AM

what type of nocks do I need to find for axis arrows? Do either fsdiscount or mountain-archery carry them?
Old 08-14-2004, 03:43 PM

Default Not the Nock, fletch, contact, creep... all shooter

Took the bow out again to try and figure things out.

Grouping arrows 8" to 1' high... only a few odd balls low (on poa).

Called a bud, joined him at another range.

He had me make sure I was only holding bow with the v between the thumb and fore finger. When I did that, I could semi-consistently keep the arrows where they belonged.

But, there's a problem, it became obvious that to hold the bow like that and be able to bring the string back to my face to anchor, I really need more draw length. when I pull the string to anchor (anchor is nock about to my lips, nose to string), I'm fighting myself to stay there (I'm pulling against the axis of my arm as if I were trying to compress it). This makes it hard to keep my hand properly positioned.

So, I'm gonna do a ton of drawing practice to see if I can just beef up enough to get by. In reality, I need another inch or so of string travel...but I'm maxed out on my '03 dually (unless Bowtech 04 cams will fit on it...which I doubt). I don't really want to take a $200-$300 hit right now to sell this bow off and pick up an 04 to get another 1" to 1"2 in length.

blah
Old 08-15-2004, 05:55 PM

Default Today's outing

Well, went at it again.

trying to keep my wrist locked...palm down, bow only in v. man....that smarts.

still wasn't consistent. ( I should say, when I start fresh...I get two groups...one where I think I'm aiming, one about 8" high.
Not sure if wrist is unlocking, or if the bow is just that sensitive to any slight misplacement or alignment.

also tried holding it more comfortably (to see if I can shoot "wrong"). I'm not really pistol gripping it, I just am allowing the inside pad below my thumb to contact the grip. Still couldn't get a consistent group.

I was thinking maybe a broader grip on the bow...but from what I can tell, you'd pretty much have to destroy the original grip to get it off. And I don't know what's available for replacements and if they'd help at all.....

again...blah.

btw...this is getting aggravating. I've been bow hunting and bow fishing for years. I've never had this much trouble getting in tune with a bow...

Quick Reply: p.o.i jumping 6" to 1 foot at 15 yds

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.