Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

QuikSpins? Worth the $$$?

Old 08-05-2004, 01:17 PM

Default RE: QuikSpins? Worth the $$$?

Well, you're obviously better at tuning than I am. BTW, I never said anything about field points. I just do not get good grouping without hard helical. Quikspins obviously aren't for you. If others use them, like them, and have no problem paying for them, I would think everyone would be happy about it.
Old 08-05-2004, 02:25 PM

Quikspins obviously aren't for you
Never said that. However, I would never use plastic vanes. Just putting out more food for thought on the buffet table.

What I am saying is; where is the POSITIVE proof beyond the hype that these vanes can do what no other fletching can do at a lesser cost? For a very long time, shooters have been hitting the mark and shooting tight groups before the Quikspins hit the market. What is the specific panacea aspect of these vanes?

If a person wants to spend their money to try them, no one should attempt to tell the person how to spend their money. However, before anyone buys any piece of gear, he or she should weigh the facts against the hype.

Here is a question: Will all broadheads perform well when using these vanes? If not; why and which type will not?
Old 08-05-2004, 02:31 PM

ORIGINAL: c903

Quikspins obviously aren't for you
Never said that. However, I would never use plastic vanes. Just putting out more food for thought on the buffet table.

What I am saying is; where is the POSITIVE proof beyond the hype that these vanes can do what no other fletching can do at a lesser cost?
I thought 5 shot clearly addressed this. I know I did in my first reply. They spin-a lot-without helical or offset. That's it. Period. Without that, I think I would agree with you.
Old 08-05-2004, 03:42 PM

I don't believe the question was clearly addressed, or that postive proof of superiority has been presented.

Nevertheless, did you know that straight-fletched feathers also impart a spin to the shaft?
Old 08-05-2004, 03:47 PM

No, If you know how to properly tune your bow. Yes if you don't. I know this will ruffle some feathers but if I take my bow out of tune they do fly better then shafts with feathers.
Old 08-05-2004, 03:51 PM

It was addressed sufficiently for me. Did you even read 5 Shot's review? Here is what I have been referring to:

"When I applied them in a straight fletch configuration I found that out of properly
tuned bows they provided as much control as a 5” feather fletched with a hard helical. I
also noticed that when I shot a group of broadheads at ranges out to 40 yards, the
feather fletched arrows and the Quick spin fletched arrows shot to the same point of aim.
I found this sort of amazing in that the feather fletched arrows weighed an average of 30
grns less that the Quick spin arrows. Most of the broadhead shooting was done with
Muzzy 3 blade 125 grn heads. I know this head very well and have found it to be
accurate, but normally you need to use at least some helical to get them to fly well. By
using the Quick spin vanes fletched straight, they controlled the arrows as well as the
same shaft using either 3 4” feathers or four 3” feathers, both fletched right helical. "

As far as feathers are concerned, I know nothing. I have no interest in ever using feathers, so what they do straight fletched is of no concern to me. The quikspins are; however, because they do appear to give the archer something that vanes cannot. The price is just not an issue to me. If it is with others, fine.
Old 08-05-2004, 04:01 PM

The quikspins are; however, because they do appear to give the archer something that vanes cannot.
Are you positive that Quikspins can do what no other vane can do?
Old 08-05-2004, 04:09 PM

The quikspins are; however, because they do appear to give the archer something that vanes cannot.
Are you positive that Quikspins can do what no other vane can do?

As I sit here right now? Yes. However, I would certainly entertain opinions otherwise if there is evidence to back it up. Are you sure they cannot?
Old 08-05-2004, 04:19 PM

Whoa- Looked liked I missed alot of chatter today!

If "groups" are tight but impact is just 1" out, you simply adjust your sights. No vane or feather is going to correct a bad shot or realign the path of an arrow that has been shot with an incorrect sight setting.
My groups are fine now and I understand fully no vane or hype will ever correct a bad shot, etc. Call me a perfectionist or whatever you want, but I'm curious when something comes out that might shrink my groups at 40-50 yards. I take long shots (I may take a beating for this, but I don't care), I grew up shooting at 50 yards, everyone I hunt with shoots up to 50 yards and I have no problem doing it. With that in mind, like I said, I'm always looking to shrink my groups.

I bought enough to fletch a 1/2 dozen, so I'm going to go try them out tomorrow night and I will make my own judgements. I only shoot with broadheads anyway, so the whole field point concept will be thrown out from the beginning. I will be shooting at 40 and 50 yards and will be looking to see if my groups tighten up or not.

I have probably around $1000 invested in my bow and gear, so spending $12 to try this out IMO is more than worth it.

One final note - I think 5Shot's test covered plenty and more than enough for me to try them. Just knowing 5Shot and his other tests, he is very good at this and I respect his opinion on them.
Old 08-05-2004, 04:24 PM

ORIGINAL: BowElkFreak

Whoa- Looked liked I missed alot of chatter today!

If "groups" are tight but impact is just 1" out, you simply adjust your sights. No vane or feather is going to correct a bad shot or realign the path of an arrow that has been shot with an incorrect sight setting.
My groups are fine now and I understand fully no vane or hype will ever correct a bad shot, etc. Call me a perfectionist or whatever you want, but I'm curious when something comes out that might shrink my groups at 40-50 yards. I take long shots (I may take a beating for this, but I don't care), I grew up shooting at 50 yards, everyone I hunt with shoots up to 50 yards and I have no problem doing it. With that in mind, like I said, I'm always looking to shrink my groups.

I bought enough to fletch a 1/2 dozen, so I'm going to go try them out tomorrow night and I will make my own judgements. I only shoot with broadheads anyway, so the whole field point concept will be thrown out from the beginning. I will be shooting at 40 and 50 yards and will be looking to see if my groups tighten up or not.

I have probably around $1000 invested in my bow and gear, so spending $12 to try this out IMO is more than worth it.

One final note - I think 5Shot's test covered plenty and more than enough for me to try them. Just knowing 5Shot and his other tests, he is very good at this and I respect his opinion on them.

Yay!

Quick Reply: QuikSpins? Worth the $$$?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.