Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

PEEP SIGHT vrs. IBO vrs. NOISE

Old 08-03-2004, 09:04 PM

Default PEEP SIGHT vrs. IBO vrs. NOISE

Just how much does a peep sight with rubber alignment slow a bow down? If the rubber was not there would it still slow down the bow? Does any generated noise come from the peep or the rubber?
My peep setup is right on as far as rotation is concerned without the rubber. Will it stay there if I leave it off or will it someday rotate out of alignment?
Old 08-04-2004, 05:24 AM

Default RE: PEEP SIGHT vrs. IBO vrs. NOISE

Speed loss from the rubber tubing will vary, depending on several factors. It can be significant. Whether your peep will turn without the tubing, will depend on the quality of the string you have on your bow. Anything that is attached to the string will slow the arrow. The closer to the nocking point, the more a given weight will slow the arrow. Peep weight can vary considerably, therefore so will speed loss. Most only affect speed by a few fps, if they don't have the rubber tubing, but it can be more.

In the past, tons of peeps with the rubber tubing were sold. They were necessary because strings were poor quality and peeps would constantly turn. That can be prevented with today's strings, at least the well-made ones. I would recommend getting a custom string if your peep turns without the tubing. The noise factor from the tubing slap, is just too much for my tastes.
Old 08-04-2004, 09:41 AM

Default RE: PEEP SIGHT vrs. IBO vrs. NOISE

The rubber tubing can be pretty noisey on some bows, and it is probably one of the biggest speed suckers you could put on your bow. I would say if you can get away without it don't use it on a hunting set up. It's going to break eventually as well, if you don't keep an eye on it. If you don't care about the extra noise or the loss in speed they do a great job of making sure the peep is lined up every time. Lot's of people still use them, I have it on one of my bows. It has a very small peep in it and it's essential that it lines up perfect everytime I draw it.

According to my bowtech manual you lose 3-6 fps for a peep sight,(would depend on weight and location) and between 6-10 for the peep tubing. So if you add them together it gets pretty high. since the peep will most likely have a post to put the tubing on, it will weigh more than a round peep. So figure on 16 fps for your peep sight, more as it gets closer the middle of the string. Depends on how you anchor really. That would be like adding 30 or 40 grns to your arrow weight, dropping your poundage 4 or 5 lbs or shortening your draw length 1 1/2 to 2 inches. If I did the math right?

The only way to really know however is to chrono your bow with one and without to see how big of a difference it really makes. In the end, if you can't get your peep to line up right I would use one no matter how much speed you lose. All the speed in the world will not do you any good if you can't get a good sight picture to begin with.

Good luck,
Paul