Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

holding it

Old 08-01-2004, 08:42 PM

Default holding it

Yes i'm 17 years old and i'm starting back bow hunting. I'm having a problem holding my bow steedy on the target. I'm shooting around 25 yards at a around 3 inch circle. PLEASE any help would be great thanks hope to hear from you soon!!!!
Old 08-01-2004, 09:03 PM

Default RE: holding it

What kind of setup are you using? What weight are you pulling? Do you use closed or open handed grip?
Old 08-01-2004, 09:10 PM

I have my brother last bow the weight i'm not sure but it's fine so is the draw. It's a pearson open grip umm i ue a wrist band but it isn't very good also a stabilizer but doesn't seem to be helping. If you know anything else that might help trying to get everything worked out before hunting season comes in. Thanks
Old 08-01-2004, 09:13 PM

When u open your hand, does the bow stay straight up and down? Also, I'm wondering if the draw weight may be too high?
Old 08-01-2004, 09:18 PM

it falls and the weight is fine i have no trouble at all pulling it back
Old 08-01-2004, 09:25 PM

please everyone that is viewing this i would much appreaciate it if you gave me some advice!
Old 08-01-2004, 09:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

sounds like too much weight to me
Old 08-01-2004, 09:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Your not going to get it to stop moving completely...

is it moving LOTS? or little?
Old 08-02-2004, 10:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Try to relax a bit. Just starting out you have to develope the muscles that are used to shoot. It takes time, and if you feel you are getting tied then stop shooting for a while. Concentrate on the spot you want to hit and let the pin float. It is physically impossible to hold perfectly still, and the harder you try the worse it gets.

Not knowing your stature or setup I'll add that not being able to hold steady also can be a sign of too long a drawlength, which about 80% of the shooters have. To get an idea of correct drawlength, you can measure your wingspan from fingertip to fingertip. Divide this figure by 2.5. This will give a quick reference as to what you should be shooting. And keep the weight down. If you're shooting anything around 50lbs you have enough for deer. Shoot this lower weight so you can shoot more and perfect your form and develope those muscles that do the work.

Lastly, if you live anywhere near an archery club I'd suggest joining. There are often people around who can help you out with form or equipment problems. And if you want the right advice you look for some of the better target shooters in the area.
Old 08-02-2004, 10:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

What BGfisher said.

Also, close up the distance to 10-15 yards and shoot at a small dot, like one of those orange sticky dots. Standing closer, your movement won't seem so bad. Aiming at a small dot will help you focus in better. When you've built up your strength and have got things holding steadier, then you can start backing up.

Don't beat yourself into frustration trying to do something you're not yet ready for!

Quick Reply: holding it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.