Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

New to bow hunting

Old 08-01-2004, 04:18 PM

Default New to bow hunting

Ok, i know this is stupid, and most of you will laugh, but we are new to bow hunting.. I'v shot amny bows growing up, but just made due with what i had, now we are looking at plunking down some money on bows, maby not to hunt with yet, but at least to pratice with and get use to them.. (i want to give gopher hunting a try with a bow as well as grouse)
But we are looking at bows on ebay, decent prices and our favorite shopping place.. BUT ... my question is how do you measure for the draw leingth? Since we are getting some what serious with them, (if you can call using them for target pratice and gophers and grouse serious)
we need to learn more about them and how to buy them..
Any help in measuring?
Thanks in advance
Kurt
Old 08-01-2004, 11:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: New to bow hunting

Kurt.

Best advice I can give is find a good Pro Shop at this time of year people are trading in their old bows for new ones and there are some good bargains to be had.
Apart from that a Pro Shop will set the bow up for you and your shooting style.

lastly most Pro Shops will give you a few tips on the correct shooting form.
Old 08-02-2004, 09:35 AM

The wing span method will get you close. streach out your arms as far as you can, have someone measure you fron longest finger to longest finger. For me it is 72 inches. then substract 15, for me that leaves 57 then divide by 2. that gives me 28.5 inches of AMO draw length. Which is right for me. I shoot 28.5 inch AMO draw to 29 inch AMO draw depending on what release I am useing.

AMO draw length is distance from the string at full draw to the throat of the grip plus 1 3/4 inches. All the bows are rated with AMO draw length. supposed to be anyway..
Old 08-02-2004, 02:29 PM

Thank you both for the good advice.
Who knows maby next season we will get certified and try it on real game, just depends on how the pratice goes and how good we get at it.
It definatly has a lure to it that makes it very interesting.
I think it would be a great sport, Just have not got to give it a try yet, but first i want to get good enough where i know i could.
Definatly would not want to get in the woods and just wond a elk or deer, i would want to make sure i could put it close to where i wanted before i could think about hunting with one.
Thanks again