Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

concentration to hard???

Old 08-01-2004, 07:41 AM

Default concentration to hard???

I was shootgin broadheads and i was shooting bad at 20 yards. One of my arrows flew compleatly over the target. WHen I went to pick it up, I decided to shoot from the backside of the target. I just imagined where it would be on a real deer. I was hitting right on then. Could I be concentrating to hard on a bullseye and punching at the trigger trying to get it to hit just right? Does anyone else have this problem?
Old 08-01-2004, 08:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: concentration to hard???

I think it's the exact opposite. Not concentrating enough...and a situation that can lead to target panic if you do not nip it in the bud...

A target with no bullseye or spot requires intense focus. A big bullseye or spot causes the subconcious & concious to get a little whacked out at times.."closer, closer, close enough, SHOOT" and you hammer the trigger home...and 99% of the time do not follow through either.

There is an old saying..."aim small".....I find I shoot my best when I'm shooting at 3D targets or otherwise picking a teeny spot on a blank target or such. Sometime I'll pick up a small leaf and pin it to my target..other days I'll stand a small branch up on it and shoot the width of the branch, and once I get focused, I start nailing that branch..yet I can go to the range and shoot very poor at a 3 or 5 spot target...just too much bullseye...can't focus enough on that X with my aging eyes and no scope.
Old 08-01-2004, 11:05 AM

I think we are saying the same thing, that a bullseye is a difficult target to focus on.
Old 08-01-2004, 09:46 PM

I do that sometimes myself, when I notice myself doing that I try to take a break for a while (10-15) minutes then try a few more arrows if I still do the same I just call it a day. will do beter next time. That what works for me but everyone is different. Mixing up targets also works too we have these hunter orange business cards at my range so I set one of those up and fling a few at that makes thing interesting. Good luck working through your over consentration woes.